Well my hunts over - NO DICE

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well my hunts over - NO DICE

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:19 am

Well I suppose this will be a boring thread...but figured I'd give my wrap up anyway.

Hunted almost 3 full days and 2 evenings of the 9 day hunt (5 out of the 9 days).

Hunted FIVE completely different areas. Saw roughly 100 deer in that time frame.

2 - Spikes
2- 2points
1 - 4 point
1 - other 2 point that I didn't see (brother did)
1 - other buck (or at least I think, to far to tell)

So according to my calculations that's about 7 bucks per 100 does, not the best odds. I hunted pretty hard looking for the big one. Seems most of the deer had moved south and it was tough to locate them. I finally had my chance at a decent buck (good height) yesterday morning. He was way high and all alone, only deer I saw in TONS of country. And well I blew it, I missed him. Well I actually hit him the first shot, but not a good hit. I shot 4 more times as he topped over the ridge...he was only 50 yards from freedom (top) and I probably rushed the shot a bit. I did find blood (very little) and then lost that and eventually tracks also in looking for him.

Had a close (actually WAY to CLOSE) encounter with a Cougar. First one ever. He was probably 30 feet at one point and I didn't know it, my brother saw it from across the canyon. Pretty crazy, luckily I think he/she was scared of my ugly mug also. All is all I still appreciated the time spent in the hills with friends and family...that is the best part. So lots of boot leather burned but tag still in pocket (my fault entirely after the miss). Wasn't an easy shot, but certainly doable.

As Ridgetop says... "there is always next year"

Hope you guys enjoy and continue to enjoy GOD'S great outdoors be safe.
Attachments
bm_2009.jpg
bm_2009.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 3269 times

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Re: Well my hunts over - NO DICE

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:12 pm

That's Crazy about the Cougar! I'm sorry you didn't get the one you hit. Sucks when that happens.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Sorry you did not connect Brett.

Ummmm...... I take it you found your black magic this year. Have I been out of town somewhere. I had no Idea. Is this the first pic of him you have posted this year.
Deadi

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Yes DeadI, I found him. First time I've posted him, well except for a hidden picture which no one seemed to 'catch'. :)

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Oh yea, well now that he is out. Lets see this hidden photo that we didn't catch.
Deadi

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:47 pm

Hope you had a good year. It's tuff to see the end when it finally gets there. I'll try and post a few pictures and report sometime in the near future of my hunts. Turned out about the same as yours but did get into some awesome country.
There's always next year

RoTuN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RoTuN » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Sounds better then our trip, the only male we saw was a spike on our way out after 3 days of hard hunting. We decided not to take the shot and try again next year. Was still an enjoyable trip in God's country with family.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Well Brett, if it were easy I suppose they would call it "shopping" instead of "hunting."

I failed to fill my WA tag but still have my ID tag in my pocket. Just waiting for it to cool down a bit more and the rut to start before I make a serious effort to fill it.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm

lol That is funny. I never saw that before. How old do you think that buck is?
Deadi