S.D. Muley advice

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
velvethunter
Fawn
Fawn

S.D. Muley advice

Post by velvethunter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 am

I have an oppoortunity to hunt South Dakota this year for mulies. The season this year was moved a week earlier, now Nov 6-14. Since I've never hunted S.D. before, anyone know when I'd be more apt to hit the rut, the beginning or end? I wonder if they moved the season so hunting wouldn't take place in the best part of the rut? Any advice would be appreciated. Hunting pressure is not an issue since it is private land.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: S.D. Muley advice

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:16 am

Where abouts in South Dakota ie: west river, black hills ect

Those are really good dates for ruttign activity and being that your on private land is good too. I guess it really just depends on the genetics and the age class of the deer you will be hunting on the private land, assuming it is a large piece of ground.

If the deer are not pressured much and allowed to reach a mature age you should see some nice bucks.

Good Luck to you.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Contact the Game Fish & Parks officer or biologists from the area you will be hunting. Most are very helpful. You can get allot of info from the SD GF&P's website.

fasteddie04
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fasteddie04 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:41 pm

You should see rutting activity during the majority of the hunt. Are there any other hunting parties that will be hunting the same area? If not, I would advise waiting till the end of the season. What part of SD are you hunting? A lot of mulies died in the winter of 08 in parts of South Dakota. Although there numbers are down, I would think you should have a pretty fun hunt and see plenty of game.

velvethunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by velvethunter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:32 pm

So the area we are hunting is west river. I got a bonus point last year so the draw should not be an issue from what I understand. The ranch is ~5,000 acres and our party of 3 are the only ones hunting it, so it seems pressure won't be a factor. I was gonna do 5 days but I guess one solution to the problem would be go at the beginning, and extend to 8 full days(entire season) of hunting if really needed. Hope the winter kill wasn't too bad, really looking fwd to it.
Plus just moved to Flagstaff, AZ, so plenty of good bowhunting right in my backyard for mulies too.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:37 am

The rut will be gaining momentum as the season goes. Peak rut is about 20-25th. Bucks should be hanging out close by the does. Some good Mulie country in Western SD. Private property and all! Your going to have a great hunt. :thumb

velvethunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by velvethunter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone, hopefully I'll be posting pics in Nov.!