Back From Colorado High Country

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Re: Back From Colorado High Country

Post by Sniper1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:10 am

Awesome post with some great pictures. Thanks. That is frustrating to hear about that buck but sometimes you can expend every effort towards finding them and still come up with nothing. Dont let it beat ya up
Aim Small Miss Small

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:28 am

Great story with some awesome pics. Thanks Roy for taking us along on your adventure. Sorry you didn't find him but that kind of stuff happens. Maybe if you were using a Rage head instead of those Wacum's you would have found him. J/K.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 am

Sorry to hear about the lost buck Roy. However, it sounds like you did everything within your power to get your tag on him.

The story is great and pics are awesome. Glad to hear that you made it back in one piece and hope you have a bit better luck next time.

tibbshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tibbshooter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:05 pm

If you have been a bowhunter for any length of time, this has happened to you. We all feel your pain and it is never fun to loose an animal. Great story and amazing pictures!

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Awesome story and pictures, sorry you didn't find your buck, but it happens, hopefully he will survive.

Kevin

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:12 pm

BOHNTR, I too came home from CO empty handed this year. Do not beat yourself up over the loss of the buck, it's not worth it. It won't change a thing. Take what good you can from the loss and chalk it up to the never ending learning curve of hunting. Remember what a great adventure you had and the good friends you got to share it with. Consider yourself a lucky man.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Good story and a great adventure. Always be glad you had it. In bowhunting we don't always win. God bless.
Mark

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Bohntr, :thumb

That is the way a post is supposed to be written. Awesome photos. There have been a few great posts like your that make a person feel like he's along for the gruling hikes, the anticipation, the ups and the downs. I remember a great post by johnyutah5 similar to this one. Thanks for sharing with us. That is some awesome, BIG, country you must be a hiking machine. With any luck your buck will heal and be bigger for you ar the next guy.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

jdh
Spike
Spike

Post by jdh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Great read Roy, thanks for sharing. Will be some unforgetable memories for years to come. If it is any solice I know of 4 bucks that have taken arrows high. Complete passes just like yours and the bucks fully recovered. 2 were later harvested a month or so later with rifles and 1 was still out smarting hunters again just last week. He was hit 2 years ago. Here is a pic of him. He was just as big 2 years ago. The poor bowhunter had him at 25 yards and he thought he put it right in the breadbasket, Just a few inches above the lungs I guess. Not that any of this will make ya feel better, but what are amigo's for right?
IMG_33841madness.JPG
IMG_33841madness.JPG (205.1 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
jdh
http://www.muleyphotos.com

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Well, some good news for a change.........I received a phone call from a guy who was up in our area hunting. I had told him about the buck, where it was, and told him if he was alive to hunt him. All I asked him is if he found it would he let me know. He did find him......alive and well feeding in the basin. His wound was licked clean and was getting along just fine. He was puzzled why the buck wasn't dead, as the hit didn't appear too high in the chest......but maybe the steep downhill angle had something to do with it??? The hunter wasn't able to seal the deal, but I appreciated the call!

I was able to get out on Wednesday and hunt some local Blacktails.......had to build my confidence. Told my son I would take the first legal buck and leave the bigger ones for him since we both had two tags a piece. I ended up arrowing a nice 15" wide forked horn Blacktail in the drizzling fog/rain......nothing like being back in the saddle. Okay, I'm back on a high now. :)
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer