Broadhead in deer's jaw

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
jdh
Spike
Spike

Re: Broadhead in deer's jaw

Post by jdh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Deer and elk are no doubt tough. I think more wounded critters fully recover then we would imagine. I arrowed a big ole' bull elk on the boulder unit years ago that was a lead magnet he had all sorts of slugs in him from. .270 to something bigger, not sure what it was and a .50 cal Barnes bullet, the kind that use sabot's out of a muzzle-loader. It was really crazy.. the .50 cal was right in the shoulder and the only noticeable marks on the bull was some discolor on the hide where it had healed over. But all the bullets were in-cased in scar tissue and the bull was completely fine. I am assuming the wounds were several years old, but I guess they could have been from the previous year. They are very tough animals and have a way of healing. I also had a buddy shoot an elk in the unita's one year and the bull had a broad-head and 6" inches of the arrow in-cased in one lung. The lung had tissue all grown around it and was not in working condition. So they can live with one lung.

jdh

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:39 am

Amazes me how tough they are. :-k
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:50 am

Thats pretty crazy! Im surprised the derr survived and was able to eat with that thing stuck in there!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

Gopher
Spike
Spike

Post by Gopher » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Sorry bout the picture quality. I took this picture while scouting a few years back. The pink you see is an arrow stuck in the hide on top of this guys head.
I gotta say, I put this up on UWN and got all kinds of crap for giving the anti's ammunition. I'm glad that BS hasn't started over here.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:38 pm

I also had a buddy shoot an elk in the unita's one year and the bull had a broad-head and 6" inches of the arrow in-cased in one lung. The lung had tissue all grown around it and was not in working condition. So they can live with one lung.
Good grief, amazing.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:45 pm

They can be some tough SOBS. However, it also bothers me a bit....especially seeing pics like the buck with the arrow in his head.

Folks need to take a second and think about thier shots. Unethical shots just tick me off because more often than not they lead to wounded animals that eventually die and waste.

I know, an unseen limb, the deer jumps the string, and numerous other things can cause this to happen. However, I think more than half of it is guys/gals taking shots that should NEVER be taken. (FYI: This is by no means a bash on bow hunters. Hunters of every class are guilty of this)