whtailtaker
Fawn
Fawn
Location: Hunting the Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West

Fair Chase

Post by whtailtaker » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:51 am

this sounds about right!!

QUOTE:
Now for my opinion: :D Sell the experience, not the animal. selling animals by the pound (or inch) is not hunting. :evil: it is shopping. Scoring animals that are bred and raised to shoot is a business.. but it is not fair chase :evil: if the animal has no chance of dieing a natural death. plain and simple. Put a hunter in a pen with a hungry lion 8) , and with no firearms :shock: :shock: , now that may be fair chase!!! Then let that hunter decide how big the enclosure needs to be to call it fair chase.. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I have been charged by grizzlies twice. That was fair chase.
Jameister

---------------------
huntin 4 legged critters and eatin um
Sans dieu rien= Without God nothing

A bad day hunting ain't bad-Ain't life grand

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:18 pm

I must say I'm a little confused at the poll question. So I said through me in with the lions. I agree your ideas aren't fair chase.

Well the grizzly one is or a cougar attack (which happened to an Uncle of mine). 8)

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Hunting Farms

Post by shedhunter » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:49 pm

Hey

I put not fair chase to the paying for the animal. I know of a guy here in Utah, up by Richfield, that is an Elk farmer. He farms these elk and puts them up on his high fenced ranch up on the mountain for folks to kill. This is a bunch of crap! The tame elk is no trophy in my eyes, but he did have a lady two years ago kill a ranch-raised 380 bull and paid quite a mighty sum for it, try 25 grand! This is a sick thing to see happen to wildlife. Also if you check the Utah Big game proclimation you will see a buffalo hunt under the same discusting circumstances. What a joke! Utah's Division of Wildlife is promoting such unethical hunting of such wonderful creatures! This is not hunting to me, infact I'd like to see all Hi-fenced hunting "ranches" shut down, how bout ya'll?

Shedhunter
~shedhunter~

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:53 pm

I would agree that this is all a bunch of crap for the rich guy that's too lazy to get off his/her collective hind end' and EARN that trophy! Might as well walk out to the pasture and drop the first milk cow you see and calling that a trophy 'cause it ain't no different!

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

I have to add this....

Post by shedhunter » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:12 pm

Again:

The obviously unfair chase is wrong. But I cant say that for the awesome guides that put in tons of their time finding HUGE animals. These guys know the animals they put their hunters on like the back of their hand. I cant speak for anyone but myself when I say that these guys have the right to put a price on the head of an animal. There was a bull shot out from underneath an outfitter this year that grossed over 400", thats life when you guide on and hunt public land! If I were a guide everyone would have equal oppertunity at the largest of the animals I would find. Its not fair to say that because a guy is paying more for his hunt, means he gets the biggest animal. Some people get greedy and will stoop to anything when it comes to big animals. I just think you have to be careful when it comes to defining fair chase. Some don't have the money to pay a guide lots of money to hunt, but that doesn't mean that the guides are unethical hunters. I just think the Hi-fenced ranches are a bunch of crap!
~shedhunter~

Danthe2pointmuleyman
Spike
Spike

Post by Danthe2pointmuleyman » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:28 am

Hey yall,

well i have mixed feelings about this, I do agree buyin a animal and shootin it is just ridiculous. Come on this is hunting, it's simple, get up off your butt and hike those hills until sundown then come back so tired that you jus fall down asleep. Makes you respect the hunt alot more and you can feel how much harder it is. But heres the thing, some of you and im not sayin its bad but some go out on private land with a guide or w/e to go huntin. Even though ur hikin and huntin theres no pressure. You can shoot ur trophy and wait an hour then go get it. I am a true believer that if you want the truest and hardest hunt is to go out and buy the general tag and be with another 15,000 hunters hittin the hills. Even though you may shoot that trophy doesnt mean ur gonna get it. I have shot a couple of mulies myself but it is legal game for anybody until that animal drops dead. So there isn't time to wait around an hour to make sure that animal is dead, it's either shoot an take off after it or shoot and not tag ur animal. So all these hunting shows on the outdoor channel is retarded because it isn't real hunting at all its just a bunch of people buyin their trohpy. Now havin all that said i have to look on the other side of things. I have been guilty of goin to a pheasant farm to hunt pheasants. But pheasant hunting in northern utah is a dyin thing because of all the farm lands going under to houses an mini malls an such. There isn't much of anywhere for the hunters nor the pheasants to go. Does that mean i should give up the pheasant hunt? or does it mean i stoop down and buy me some pheasants? I think Utah needs to do a better job of protecting the wildlife and the hunts that go along with it for future generations. Anyhow theres my two cents worth
Happy Trails

whtailtaker
Fawn
Fawn
Location: Hunting the Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West

TAME HUNTING

Post by whtailtaker » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:58 am

found this post on another forum-
please pay attention to the I have seen pictures of and the great hunt!

QUOTE:

NZ is a great place to hunt. Red stag are my favourite deer to hunt. The problem is some of the outfitters use tiny little paddocks and call it hunting. Also it is a common practice to take tame stags out of deer farms, sometimes once they have reached an age where velvet production is going backwards and release them to be shot. People have identified photos of stags from deer farm auction catalogues and later seen the same stags on some magazine cover or pages.

Another practice is to fly around in a helicopter, spo tahr or chamois, maybe land somewhere a little way away and then stalk the animal. Some of the outfitters even used to brag about this. But the stories in the magazines always brag about the difficult climbs up the mountainside, stalks and hunts.

Its often more about getting a bragging head on the wall instead of a true hunting trophy.

I think you are quite right about the trophies being hard to get on public land. There would be no doubt about that.

By the way my 12 point stag came from private land in central North Island near a wilder mountain range. Obviously there is less pressure on private land. But it was an unfenced dairy farm of several thousand acres.

The majority of oufitters in NZ all hunt on fenced properties. I guess a key is how big the property/high fenced paddocks are? 100 acres? 3000 acres? And the type of country.

Just check into the outfit well and hopefully you or your mate have a nice hunt.
Sans dieu rien= Without God nothing

A bad day hunting ain't bad-Ain't life grand