Meat or trophy hunter?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Ridn9high
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Ridn9high » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:50 am

I have been both in my life and now go for the horns until the last weekend(day). Shot my first buck 6 years ago at age 16 here in Cali. And since then I have taken 7 bucks. Up until last season it was all about killing a legal buck. A little forky would make me happy.

2004 season,
I set my standards higher during this season. First came achery in d-4, went up to our property 2-3 times a week and would either sit on a ground and watch a trail, spot and stalk through the brush or fall asleep in the treesatnd. I saw a fare number of bucks in the 30 yard range but never took the shot. I still haven't killed a buck with my bow but wanted one of the 4 or 5 pointers I had been seeing and knew they would not leave the ranch. Well didn't get the buck last season, hunted through rifle season on the ranch with my bow. And again could have taken some big boys with a rifle each day, but still wanted one with the bow. If I did end up shooting one on the ranch with a rifle, it wouldn't have satisfied me. I had set my goal to shoot one with a bow on our property, and did not want to make it any easier.

Rifle season on public land in 04'. Well off and on throughout the year hunted the great storms we had. This was the year I was going to bag a nice buck. I rarely see many bucks in a D zone and when I did see a legal buck, I made my first pass. Then I did the same thing 6 more times this season in D6. Well 1 week before the season eneded I saw a nice 3x4 21 inches wide and took him. I didn't get the biggest buck of the year but for me to pass up 7 legal bucks and take a nice one made my season. I will plan on passing on little bucks to find that bigger one. I always have enough venison in the freezer(dad and both brothers hunt) so I don't really meat hunt anymore.