New hunter...NEED HELP!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
growinbuck
Fawn
Fawn

New hunter...NEED HELP!

Post by growinbuck » Tue May 18, 2010 6:31 pm

This is my second year hunting elk and muleys. Any advice would be appreciated, areas to try, scent block, calls.....I drew the buck/bull combo for utahs northern region this year wanted to start scoutin in a couple weeks. thanks a bunch.

Bull Buster
Fawn
Fawn

Re: New hunter...NEED HELP!

Post by Bull Buster » Thu May 27, 2010 2:46 pm

I have never hunted Utah. I hunt deer and elk in Colorado but I would recomend calling the local wardens and biologists for the area you drew. WheneverI am hunting a new area I call these people plus local taxidermists and they are more than happy to help you out. Also spend hours looking at topo maps and google earth. That will help you decide on areas to scout and to learn the lay of the land good luck.

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:35 pm

I usually look at what the game and fish site says about your area and they usually give you some areas. Then I contact previous hunters in the area and see what they have to say. Google earth can be helpful to find areas to scout during the preseason. Goodluck finding the big one!
The Buck Stops Here

UTEXAN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by UTEXAN » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:06 pm

I have hunted with this tag in the past. Best advice I can give is get away from the crowds. Start out before firsdt light and get a good vantage point. Hunt until dark. Since this is a rifle hunt I wouldn't be concerned over scents. As far as calls are concerned I would go with a cow call (there will be plenty of others bugling). Hike were no else will go....