Elevation?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
PLP
Spike
Spike

Elevation?

Post by PLP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:15 pm

I keep reading about high elevation in peoples stories..over and over..Is there some reason why big bucks prefer higher elevation earlier in the season..if I am figuring this right..Is it because they follow the snow line up for freshest growth,then when the snow comes in it pushes them back down?Help me understand why they do what they do..Thanks...

waynedevore

Re: Elevation?

Post by waynedevore » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 am

I think it's cooler temps and security. Plenty of feed in the lower country.
Once the temperature turns cold with heavy snows Mulies will move on.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:32 am

Weather and bugs are some of the reasons......however, I'm told (biologists) that high protein foods are located in alpine terrain (alpine willow, rabbit brush, alpine lupinus) that give bucks quick nutritional value to grow antlers.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks for the replies! :thumb

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Agree with all answers so far, but don't kid yourself into thinking ALL big bucks prefer and live in high elevation. Depends on terrain, state, weather, where they were born, etc.

I've found, photographed, some monsters that certainly aren't/weren't/don't live in high elevations.

stewberd23
Spike
Spike

Post by stewberd23 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:22 pm

I also think that its quieter up there, not so much pressure.
Do Work

Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Post by Sniper1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:10 am

Alot less pressure.. it takes alot to get high up there after them bucks... I agree with the food up high holds certain vitamins or something to help antler growth and health. But i also agree not all big bucks are up high. I live along the wasatch front and in front of my house every year for the past 3 years the same buck has showed up in the corn field during the hunts. There is a herd of about 20 deer or so and around 7 bucks each year. The big last year had 11 on one side and 7 on the other with about a 5 inch kicker. Well over 30". WE killed a 26 last year and this guy makes him look like a baby. So dont always look high :thumb
Aim Small Miss Small

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:12 pm

It's starting to feel like,they could be anywhere,you just have to find the food source or does,and they will be there..Would you say mulies tend to be herd animals,and patchy?

Down here where I live in the southeast our deer don't herd very much..They are scattered all over in groups of 1-3 pretty evenly.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:56 am

Mulies seem to be in herds when feeding at good sources such as a hay field or something. Or may be in bunches during the rut. But herding animals such as Bison, cattle or sheep. No, I'd not call Mulies herding. Plenty of loners always or small family groups.

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks for the reply! :thumb