henrys buff scouting trip

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
treetop
Spike
Spike

henrys buff scouting trip

Post by treetop » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi everyone, Treetop here, my son and his wife went with me down to the henrys on friday and sat to start the scouting for my buff hunt this fall.
We rode in friday afternoon and camped at dandylion flat on bull creek and my boy spotteed a lone buff up on the east side of the north ridge of mt. ellen.
then in the evening we got on our wheelers and rode up bull creek to wikiup pass and stopped and glasses up 4 nice bucks across the canyon to the west, then we rode over through granate creek and up the ridge there and stopped and glassed up another 10 or 12 nice bucks there, one was a long ways off but right on the skyline in a pass, it was a cool sight. then back towards bull creek pass. As we rode through the little canyons on the way to the pass we would see a bunch of deer in each of the basins at the head of each canyon. 5-10 in each bunch.
with their bones still in the velvet the bucks like to stay out of the timber so they are just out bedded in the grass and wild flowers chewing their cud. It was quite a sight.
I told the boy to come with me and we'd walk up on one group and try and get some video, we started out and before I had gone 30 yards I was out of breath. It;s about 10,000 feet and I;m fat and out of shape and trying toget over a nasty cold.
The boy is 24 and slim and strong as an ox so I just gave the camera to him and sent him up to get some pictures. he scampered up there like it was nothing. He got some good pictures.

we worked our way around to the west side and every where we stopped we could see nice bucks.
out of the 60 some odd deer we saw there was only about 6 does and I only saw 1 spike and no 2 points . just lots of nice bucks.

On the way back to camp there was about 6 deer standing right by the road and one of them was going to be really wide. the other bucks were about 3/4 grown and had all their points but this buck was out about 3 inches past his ears and was just forking for the first time. I stopped my wheeler and got off and got my camera out and they just stood there at about 30 yards while I got some pix.
If I knew how I'd post up some of the vids.
Any way if any of you want to go see some really nice bucks take your wife and go down for a day or two and ride the roads in the high country, it will blow your mind.
If any of you have hunted bison dawn there I'd love to have any tips you might want to share. It's huge country and rough but beatuiful.. Later Mark
Treetop

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: henrys buff scouting trip

Post by ridgetop » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Hope you figure out how to upload video. I'd like to see it.
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Treetop,

I'd love to see it also, you can upload the video here...

http://www.huntersclips.com/

I can embed it in the forum for you easily if you can get it uploaded?

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:01 am

LOL.

It sounds like your scouting trip started off just like my hunt. it's hard to not watch all of the deer when you should be looking for the bison. Toupin will be heading down there next weekend to look for his deer so maybe he will find you some bison to chase.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

kallred12
Fawn
Fawn

Post by kallred12 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm

I saw lots of bison last year on the southwest side of ellen down below the roads and also alot between ellen and pennell in the lower cedars. There were about 20 to 30 head than i spotted consistently at the top of dark canyon on pennell and believe it or not they were right on the very top of the mountian, good luck