Kaibab Fall 2011

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
out4blood
Fawn
Fawn

Kaibab Fall 2011

Post by out4blood » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi guys, I'm a new member but have lurked from time to time for the past 2 years. I'm not sure what took me so long to register, this is a great site. I am contemplating a Kaibab Archery hunt foe me and my out of state brother (provided we both draw) this coming season and am in need of a little guidance.
1. Does the small community of Jacobs lake have any services ie, store, gas, food?

2. Is there anywhere nearby to have meat processed/stored during the hunt? I hate to have to drive to Flagstaff in the middle of the hunt if one of us tags out.

3. What kind of crowds/pressure can be expected?

4. I drive a Jeep TJ it has a lift and a winch. I will most likely pull a small trailer to carry all of the necessary gear. In general, How are the roads?

Thats all I can think of for now, but I welcome and advice you can offer.

Thanks
DIY=You earned it.

AZ_BOWHNTR
Spike
Spike

Re: Kaibab Fall 2011

Post by AZ_BOWHNTR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Welcome to the site. I have an out of state buddy that I put in with and we typically don't have an issue getting drawn.

1. Does the small community of Jacobs lake have any services ie, store, gas, food?[i][/i] Yes, they have all of those services and there is another gas station/market further south on Hwy 67.

2. Is there anywhere nearby to have meat processed/stored during the hunt? I hate to have to drive to Flagstaff in the middle of the hunt if one of us tags out.Yes. There are a couple areas you hit. Page, which is off the east side of the mountain has STIX market. I grew up in Page and have always taken my deer there. Also, off the west side of the mountain there is Fredonia and Kanab (UT). I'm sure they have processors there as well, I'm just not familiar with them. Page is about 90 miles and Fredoina is about 35 miles, depending on where you choose to camp in the forest.

3. What kind of crowds/pressure can be expected?Typically, the opening week and most weekends are heavily pressured. I was up for the last 10 days last year and did not see many folks at all. Although making the archery hunt a draw did help aliveate some of the pressure, there is still a lot of the pressure is on the roads, but you can definately find some areas without people if you are willing to venture away from the roads.

4. I drive a Jeep TJ it has a lift and a winch. I will most likely pull a small trailer to carry all of the necessary gear. In general, How are the roads? The roads are generally in good shape with most being Forest Service roads that are well maintained. I see plenty of passenger cars up there, so your Jeep will not have an issue with anything you can get into.
JB

out4blood
Fawn
Fawn

Post by out4blood » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for the input. That helps a lot.
DIY=You earned it.

stewberd23
Spike
Spike

Post by stewberd23 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:14 pm

I live in Kanab and there is a meat processor in Fredonia he is pretty good too. just for some more info
Do Work