North Cache Backcountry

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

North Cache Backcountry

Post by ARCHER11 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Im just looking at a few options for a backcountry archery deer hunt this year. From the research ive done it sounds like the North Cache area doesnt have the best wintering areas and the deer herd has suffered quite a bit with a few harsh winters in the past. Im considering the Mt. Naomi Wilderness up around Mt. Naomi and Cherry Peak. This looks like some steep rough country and thats just what im lookin for! Has anyone had any experience or success in this area? Im not looking for someone to tell me where to go just curious what the deer numbers have been in the past.

Also, maybe someone could help me find some information on migration routes and deer numbers or any tools that can help me with my research. Ive looked through the UTDWR and USFS websites but cant turn up any information on the deer migration routes in utah and area specific deer numbers. Any help would be appreciated here! Thanks for the help guys! :thumb
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

ddtruth2
Fawn
Fawn

Re: North Cache Backcountry

Post by ddtruth2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:07 pm

I archery hunt in that area. There are some nice bucks but it is tough hunting. There is a big winter range problem on the cache. I seem to be able to find bucks during archery season but getting a shot is another story. During the rifle hunt those bucks seem to disappear. Also if you are planning to hunt during the rifle hunt you will be shocked at the number of people.

If you get after it during archery I think you will see nice bucks. But you have to get up high and glass a lot. They are there. The last 2 seasons I have gotten in archery range of big bucks but I have just not quite been able to put it all together.

good luck

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Ive hunted that area my whole life. Theres tons of country up there and yes it is gnarly. But just because its gnarly doesnt mean your going to be the only guy up there. Opening morning, you AND the rest of Cache Valley will be there. Get there early and do your scouting if you want to be successful. Do your homework and you will kill an awesome animal. But you gotta work for it.

Just my two cents.

Camo
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:00 pm

There are some good deer up in the Cache, North area. It is high use, which you may or may not be aware of due to the numerous hiking trails and the proximity to Utah State – all of a sudden college kids think they need to be outside instead of in the books!!! The areas around Tony Grove, White Pine Lake, and Naomi Peak all have very high use trails. That being said, it’s very easy to find yourself alone if you distance yourself from the trails! Wintering is a big issue (as stated previously in the thread by “ddtruth2”), in years past the DWR has resorted to feeding stations in the foothills from North Logan to Richmond to keep the deer from getting into places they shouldn’t be.
Anyway, I shot you a PM.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the help you guys! I really appreciate it! Im sure the trails get some pressure, hopefully getting away from the trails helps a bit. I hope to get a few scouting trips in and ill keep you all posted and post pics! Thanks again!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:16 pm

derekp1999 wrote:college kids think they need to be outside instead of in the books!!! The areas around Tony Grove, White Pine Lake, and Naomi Peak all have very high use trails.
That my friend is why I'm a dropout lol

Lots of country in there, some good bucks. They can be hard to find at times
Watch your top knot!