Southern AZ Deer

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Tysum
Fawn
Fawn

Southern AZ Deer

Post by Tysum » Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 am

A couple of ?s. I'v never hunted the Southern part of the state, but I am thinking of doing a couse WT deer hunt in 35a or 36c.

1. I was hoping to just pick up a left over rifle tag so I don't have to use my bonus points, do any of you know if they have typically had left over tags each year in either of these units? I know the early Nov. is a 100% draw rate so that is why I was thinking there may be some leftover tags. Is this a very good hunt that early?

2. Have any of you seen any problems hunting this close to the boarder with all the crap from the drug cartel?

Thanks!!!

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: Southern AZ Deer

Post by m gardner » Sun May 15, 2011 10:48 am

I spent time in 36B camping and hunting. Saw some nice whitetails but didn't shoot. Saw illegals too but they moved off. Seems they have a business to run and they are basically unimpeded by the feds and don't seem to want to kill Americans. You'll be disgusted by the amount of garbage left by the cartels and human smugglers. You'll find sugar sacks and food and water cached. You'll see manned cartel lookout posts. Don't camp in the interior. Camp on the paved roads with other hunters. Don't travel at night either. Getting out to open gates could get your truck stolen. They love big pickups. There will be lots of tags leftover again I'm sure.

Tysum
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Tysum » Wed May 18, 2011 11:53 am

m gardner wrote:I spent time in 36B camping and hunting. Saw some nice whitetails but didn't shoot. Saw illegals too but they moved off. Seems they have a business to run and they are basically unimpeded by the feds and don't seem to want to kill Americans. You'll be disgusted by the amount of garbage left by the cartels and human smugglers. You'll find sugar sacks and food and water cached. You'll see manned cartel lookout posts. Don't camp in the interior. Camp on the paved roads with other hunters. Don't travel at night either. Getting out to open gates could get your truck stolen. They love big pickups. There will be lots of tags leftover again I'm sure.
Thank you for the info & pointers!!!

codyca
Fawn
Fawn

Post by codyca » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Beside the illegals, are there any mule deer to speak of and what type of habitat do they favor in that area? Just curious, no tag.

Jeff
2 point
2 point

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:57 pm

+1 on the garbage. I hunted 36b a few years ago and shot a nice coues deer. I seen quite a few bucks, missed a monster, seen lots of illegals too, but I didn't shoot them. lol