Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

DH Hunters Picks Stats - Utah

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Interesting data here...

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/pdf/dh ... ection.pdf

How many of you are DH hunters and do you mind sharing which unit you picked or you like to keep that private?

If not a DH, which unit will you be applying for shortly? I was really torn between which unit to pick this year
and ending up just winging it. :)

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: DH Hunters Picks Stats - Utah

Post by ridgetop » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Since I believe in hunting close to home. You guys can probably guess which unit I am hunting right now. Most guys here in town are hunting outside the unit because of the low buck to doe ratio. Brett, It looks like the Pine Valley is going to be a tough draw for the general public.
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Ridge,

That's exactly what I was afraid of and I agree I think it will become more a less a LE unit with it being at lead a couple or more years to draw. I did not pick Pine Valley as my unit, but man I sure came close and was torn not to. I hunt it almost every year I have a tag and have done forever.

highcountryarchery
Spike
Spike

Post by highcountryarchery » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Im thinkin boulder cause i think everyone and their dog will apply for thousand lake since its opened up to general this year but fishlake might get my vote catchin bucks crossin the road might work out

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:00 pm

It's a tough call this year for me which unit to put in for. My brother and I have a couple preference points each, my grandfather has a lifetime license, and my buddy just completed his final year of DH and is now a non-resident & doesn't know if he's going to re-apply.
My cousin knows Fishlake well and tells us to put in for every year but that would require all of us going in as a group to make sure we can hunt together & make my grandpa's lifetime license a moot point. However, two of the last three years we've hunted out of the family cabin on the Ogden unit and at least one of us has been successful each year... the accommodations are spectacular (beats the heck out of sleeping in a tent) and it's hard to beat hunting an area that I know really well. I'm leaning Ogden, but will differ to the senior member of the group and let him make the decision... I'm certain though that it will be muzzy (I've officially fallen in love with the smokepole).
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:19 am

If I end up putting in for a unit at all I will be putting in for the archery hunt in the Wasatch Mountains, West unit.

It's the area that I know the best in the state. Still thinking that I might just get a point and see how all of this new system works out. At least I can still get an archery elk tag and go hunt where ever my mood takes me to. For now anyway.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:08 pm

I like everyone else here had a hard time choosing. I ended choosing the cache unit for more than one reason. first its close to home. With the way they split the boundry I can hunt out my back door but can not hunt my friends. the Box Elder unit I would have much better success as I have lots of land permission to hunt. but the Second reason is that with the low harvest the last year in this county I am sure it will if not be closed it will have few hunter permits and I might as will put in for the area and hunt my secret honey hole the time I am sure I will get a tag. My final reason is with my new job I have limited time to get afield (if its anything like last year) I was not able to get out on the muzzle hunt at all, I spent one day Archery, but got to spend 9 days for the rifle. So hunting where I am working is a must this year.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Post by JDavid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Box Elder for sure the areas I have always hunted are within that hunt so I'm one of the few that haven't had their favorite honey holed messed with
Is someone with 10 million dollars any happier than someone with 9 million?

ABert

Post by ABert » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Welcome to hunting the Colorado way.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

therookie
Spike
Spike

Post by therookie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Is there anywhere that has the numbers of how many an what unit non dh have put in for?