Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: Left over tags

Post by derekp1999 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:43 pm

waspocrew wrote: Derek-
I've been mulling this over a little while and I think I'll probably just stick with the tags I have and not buy a spike this year. I read the portion of the proclamation that you referenced and wasn't able to find a definite answer... If I harvest my buck early in the muzzy hunt, do I need to continue hunting with my muzzy if I try to fill my cow tag? I'm assuming I would (which is totally fine) but if I can use rifle, that would extend my range a bit. I'll probably end up calling the DWR about it, but was just curious to hear your thoughts.
Yes, you need to use the legal weapon for the buck or bull tag to harvest the cow. You could harvest your buck on opening day but continue to pursue a cow with your muzzleloader until the muzzleloader deer season ends, just have your permit for deer with you.

At least that's what the DWR told me when I emailed them last fall.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: Left over tags

Post by waspocrew » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:12 pm

derekp1999 wrote: Yes, you need to use the legal weapon for the buck or bull tag to harvest the cow. You could harvest your buck on opening day but continue to pursue a cow with your muzzleloader until the muzzleloader deer season ends, just have your permit for deer with you.

At least that's what the DWR told me when I emailed them last fall.
Sounds good to me... Thanks for the clarification! Sounds like I might want to shoot a 300 grain just in case I run into elk :thumb