Unit 62 deer/elk

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
coloradobone
Fawn
Fawn

Unit 62 deer/elk

Post by coloradobone » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 am

Me and my father-in-law both drew 2nd rifle deer tags this year and we plan on each buying a bull tag also. A friend of mine has hunted on the Plateau before and keyed us into some pretty productive areas. He has taken some real trophies off of the plateau in years past. So anyway we will be focusing on the love mesa, kelso mesa, long point, and brushy ridge areas which was the suggestion of my friend. My father in law has been hunting out west for years in many different states and has killed some decent mule deer but has never killed an elk nor have I but he's 66 and i'm 29 so i got a while to fill that tag. He is worrying that his time is limited and he may never fill that tag. He is in very good shape for his age and is willing to go deep if need be. I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help out with some information that may be helpful in putting us on some deer or elk. I was looking on trying to make our way onto kelso mesa by going behing the private out front. My buddy told me that some older guys that he met out there camped on long point every year and hiked into kelso and always had luck filling bull tags down in there. Like i said we know where we are going to focus our scouting (we will be going out 4 days early to scout) but any and all information would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you.

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Re: Unit 62 deer/elk

Post by treedagain » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:22 pm

i can confirm that LONG POINT is a very good place to start looking for elk....

coloradobone
Fawn
Fawn

Post by coloradobone » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 am

Thank you very much treedagain. Even as short of a reply such as u just gave continues to build my confidences in this area. Like i said, having never been there before I am looking for any and all info i can get. And, yes, even a simple "you're on the right track is helpful." I guess one of my biggest concerns is where we are going to camp. I understand that some of these side roads can become a little hairy in foul weather. So i'm wondering if we just need to camp on divide road and travel to the hunting spot of our choice in that area according to what our scouting has turned up or are these side roads like brushy ridge trail and the long point road too long for that to be feisable. We will be bringing an atv. Also treed again, what do you hunt? Bear? Coon? Lions? Just curious.

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 pm

the roads for the most part are pretty good, there are cabins down those roads so the roads are kept up....i would camp down long point, aways and 4 wheeler to hunt each day. i would camp light until you find the elk, then setup fully....glass and glass some more and you will find them.....plus you should glass up some good deer to go after....

coloradobone
Fawn
Fawn

Post by coloradobone » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks treedagain. Once again some very helpful information. I am prepared to go deep and I'm also expecting to do so. I know the guy who provided me with the hunt information is one who will do whatever it takes to make the kill. He says that you must glass alot. It will certainly be a new experience glassing and then moving until we find the animals and then setting up a full camp but by the sounds of things it seems that this will be the best option. I have no doubt that the animals are there because my friend's trophy room is the evidence but he said some years they had best luck at wagon park, another year brushy ridge, and then another year long point. This, of course, can seem a little overwhelming considering those three spots are very far apart.

altitude sickness
Fawn
Fawn

Post by altitude sickness » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 am

Please be careful not cross the private ground at beaver darn reservoir, We lease that for deer and elk hunting, and the access into kelso and the forest behind the private ground. It seems everyone sees the private on the map and think thats where all the animals are so they crowd the area. So it is a very common area for people to want to walk behind the private land thinking they will get away from the crowds and into animals. But it seems everyone has the same idea. Many people drive right past animals and think they are the only ones going deep into a canyon. GOOD LUCK!

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:16 pm

altitude, welcome to the board ::wel ....my thought is you would not be leasing the ground if it did not hold animals so expect fence sitters...if i remember the land is marked good enough that trespassing should not be a problem, unless they dont care...i have killed 4 6 point bulls in 62, 1 within spitting distance of private in your area..sorry...another 1 same thing about 5 miles north...both coming out of private..ELK dont care about fences, lots of time the pressure on private is more than public

altitude sickness
Fawn
Fawn

Post by altitude sickness » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks treedagain, yeah that was my point we do the same thing ourselves thinking all the animals will be pushed onto private, but the truth is that most of us drive right past animals that have figured us out and where we dont hunt because it doesnt look like it would hold elk. Some of the biggest bulls i have found where two miles from cover out in a sage flat along a creek. Lack of pressure

altitude sickness
Fawn
Fawn

Post by altitude sickness » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:51 am

well, we are back from unit 62. there was alot of action in Kelso creek and the middle fork of the escalante. also long point and brushy ridge area was very good for deer. not so much for elk. I think if you want to get away from the crowds, go low down into the tranition zone of sage, pinion, oak brush, cedar etc. down in the BLM. it all looks like new mexico, arizona. it has the largest roadless area also. most hunters I saw were road hunters. mainly locals hunt down low. I saw a 320 7x7 shot early this year down there by a local. he said many elk had moved down there due to a lack of grass high and the acorn crop in the oak brush. good luck