What would you do?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Tenner
Spike
Spike

What would you do?

Post by Tenner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:55 am

I dont know how many people have been in my situations, but its very aggravating! I drew on a nice deer hunt in Idaho and have been short on time and money getting out. Well I was able to get out last night I knew where I would be going. Its a 45 minute atv ride from the truck then a hike from burn. Well anyway I get down into this canyon and at about 6pm I spot 2 bucks. One was a big bodied and seemed to have a nice rack. Both the deer were 4x4's one was a little smaller. I ranged them at 575 but they were feeding up the hill. This is a chip shot for me. (I shot my antelope at 707) I got set up prone and watched the two spare in my scope. As I would have thought the bigger buck was the dominant buck and was pushing the little one around. When they broke apart I let the 168gr .308 fly! I missed the first shot a little low. So I adjusted the scope and got situated. The deer where just standing there looking around. I sent the 2nd shot and I could here the THUD! The small buck immediately broke back down hill the big buck was standing there for a few seconds wobbling then started to stagger back down hill right before I put another in him. I sat there until dark watching for them. The small buck came back out and started to feed up the hill. No big buck though. I am sure he is dead in the ravine.

So I start my trek out, since it is to late to find my way over to him. It was dark. I call my father in law, who is the owner of the company I work for. I tell him what happened, I asked what he thought about me taking today off to go get the deer. He told me that business comes first and that we can afford to have my store closed. ( I am a manager of on of his stores) Since he and his son are on a spike elk hunt neither of them are here to cover me.

I am pissed. This goes against everything that I have been taught. There is no way to go up before or after work since I will not have enough time. I feel like crap for this. If I would have known he was not going to let me go back and get my deer, I would have not taken the shot. He says he is a sportsman, but this tells me otherwise. The soonest I can get up there will be wednesday on my day off. By then the deer will be rotted. So my trophy deer hunt will end with me having some antlers, no meat. I am a meat hunter. I shot this deer because of the body first and the antlers second.

Have any of you been in this situation? What did you do? or would have done? l cant call in sick since he would know what I was doing!!! Working for family sucks!!!!

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Re: What would you do?

Post by johnyutah5 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 pm

What a tough situation. I would take a friend and go up in the dark tonight. It may be tough to find the buck but at least there is a chance. I would also factor in how familiar you are with this area, you wouldn't want to put yourself in any danger and I wouldn't suggest going in alone.

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:38 pm

I agree, grab a couple of friends and get in there in the dark after work with plenty of flashlights. You took the shot and hit the animal, you have to at least try to find it. I bet the meats gonna be rancid by now as it sounds like the deers been dead a couple of days so you have to weigh that as well. Maybe its not worth trying since its been so long and the bears and coyotes have more than likely gone to town on it (if they are known to be in the area). Where I hunt, if any animal was left dead overnight, its gonna get eaten. Sorry to hear about this tough situation.

Tenner
Spike
Spike

Post by Tenner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will try to round up some people to go with me. I am pretty familiar with the area and will be able to find it in the dark, it will be tough to find him, but I agree I have to at least try. That was the main reason I did not hike over to him last night, I was by my self. There are no bears where I am at so I am not worried about that. Coyotes maybe, there has also been a few wolf sightings, and cougars. There are a lot of cats.

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Whatever you do, be safe. Don't go alone and bring gun! Good luck. I really hope its been really cold and you find the animal perfectly aged!

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Post by johnyutah5 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 am

Any luck? Hope everything turned out alright.

Tenner
Spike
Spike

Post by Tenner » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:27 pm

I am heading up in the morning. That is the soonest I can go. I could not find anyone to go with me last night. Its been below 40 degrees during the day and freezing at night, Everyone I talk to said that most of the meat will be good, which make me happy.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:05 pm

I hope you're able to find him... I'm sorry to hear about the timing of everything. The first thing is for you to be safe, and then make your best effort to find him! Keep us posted!

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Glad to hear about those temps. That should help you quite a bit. Good luck!

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Post by johnyutah5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Keep us posted. Good luck!