My 2012 "Meat for the dinner table" volunteer

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

My 2012 "Meat for the dinner table" volunteer

Post by lancetkenyon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:18 am

2012 was a great hunting year for me. I did not take a record book deer, did not get drawn for elk or antelope, but fantastic memories were made for all involved in it with me. It all started when I called AZGFD when the results were out for deer. I had drawn a 12AE early deer tag...finally.

I had heard from numerous people and even professional guides, that this year was the worst in 12 years for antler growth in northern AZ. They had photos/video of deer from last year that were 200"+ and they were expecting to be in the 230-250"+ categories, that were only going 180" this year. And these guys know their deer.

First scouting trip was over Labor Day weekend with my family, and my brother and his wife. It snowed on us Sept. 1st! Rained the rest of the time, but had a great trip just hanging out and seeing lots of deer, but nothing big at all.

I scouted up in my area numerous weekends after that first trip, and put in a lot of miles looking for a big buck this year. My efforts were a little disappointing, but I still had fairly high hopes. After hearing about the antler growth problems, I lowered my expectations a touch from holding out for a monster, to tagging a mature 4x4 or better. I had only seen about 20 bucks scouting, but had never really had time to put a lot of shoe leather on the ground. I had also only seen one shooter buck, and not an opening morning shooter at that. I did find out where a LOT of deer were hanging out with only 3 weeks left to the hunt opening day, and that helped boost my spirits some.

I got up to my area the day before season opened, dropped my stuff at camp (I had left my trailer up there a month earlier for weekend scouting trips), and hit the hills about 1:00PM to glass some canyons. It had been very cold and windy (up to 40mph) all week, and was supposed to remain cold through opening day, but the winds were supposed to die down during the night. Hopefully making for a good opener.

I glassed all afternoon, and hardly saw a deer where I had seen plenty before. I figured the wind had them all bedded, since deer get nervous when it is windy and they can't rely on their hearing/smelling to warn them of predators. It was only 38* on Thursday at 2:00PM, and still 30mph+ winds. If the winds let up, the deer should really be moving after high winds all week.

(Friday 10-26-12) Opening morning found me up early, 4:00AM. Legal shooting light starts 30 minutes before sunrise, meaning I needed to be where I wanted to hunt by 6:17AM (6:47AM sunrise). I had hardly seen a soul during archery season, and any of my other scouting trips where I planned to hunt. Opening morning would turn out to be a freeway in my hunting area. I left camp (about 7 miles from my hunting area) at 5:00AM, thinking I would beat everyone into the area. Boy, was I wrong. While on the main highway, I could see truck after truck pulling into the large burn I wanted to hunt. Seriously, about 25 trucks were pulling into the area I wanted to hunt. Opening morning in the area is a road-hunter mecca, and I was prepared to hoof it to more remote canyons away from the roads. After following no fewer than 5 trucks that turned down the road I needed to be on, I was getting nervous. As one pulled off after another to stop and wait for light to start glassing, I kept going to the end of the road where the big canyons start.

At 5:30AM, I hit the dead end and started getting my gear ready. It was a balmy 14*, but no wind! I layered up and put on my pack, headlamp and rifle and grabbed some water and snacks and hit the canyon. I had crossed the canyon that the road ran along by opening light, and topped out just as it was getting light enough to glass. Another truck pulled up behind mine, and I thanked the Lord I had beat him to the end of the road.

By 6:15, I was glassing the next canyon over, and slowly stalking along the canyon about 3/4 of the way up the eastern ridge, with the light at my back if the deer were looking. Here is where is got fun:

6:30AM I can hear deer in the bottom of the canyon moving and glass up about 15 deer. 4 small bucks (two 2x2, a 3x2, and a small 3x3) and the rest does and fawns. I ranged them at 418 yds. and set my scope for 400 and sat down to see if another bigger buck would come in. Watched them for about 20 minutes when another small group came in. A single 2x2 buck and three does. After 10 more minutes, picked up, set my rifle back to my 200 yd. zero and kept stalking.

7:30AM See another group of deer walking down the canyon feeding. 3 bucks (two 2x2 and a decent 3x3), and two does and a fawn. Ranged them at 300 yds and set the scope just in case. They started feeding up the hillside I was sitting, so not to spook them off, I sat. They wandered down the canyon after about 20 minutes and I picked up again to keep going. Feeling better about my choice to hike now too.

8:30AM I jump a nice wide buck with a single doe out of a bed on the hillside I am stalking. I am thinking this is a shooter buck. I figure about 26" wide (outside his ears a bit on each side). I range him at 200 yds, but he is moving pretty good. Not stotting, but heading for the opposite ridge. I find an opening I think he will go through and range it at 366 yds. Set my scope to 350 (downhill shot) and get a decent, quick rest on a log. Low and behold, he walks into the opening and stops. I can see he is a matrure 4x4, but his front forks were really weak, like 4" crab claws. The backs were decent. Here is my dilemma....he is facing straight away from my, but below me. I only have a spine shot. Now, my rest is decent, but not great. I am not a fan of flinging lead at an animal if I do not have an ethical, clean kill shot. If I miss by even 1" left or right, this deer could either: 1) Not go down right away, leaving a long chase, or 2) Not go down at all if only a single lung is hit, and not be recoverable. While I am thinking of this, he moves out after about 3 seconds. I still stand by my decision not to have shot at that time.

So...he goes up and over the ridge. I can see the next canyon hill, and all down-canyon from where I am. Range the other canyon hill at 650 yds, set my scope and wait....nothing. Not up the other hill, or down the canyon. Off I jump to get to the top of the other side to see if I can locate this buck.

9:00AM Top of the other canyon, and glassing like crazy. The canyon splits into three fingers going up, and I know he did not go down canyon. Left canyon is pretty bare, glass it, no dear. Middle and right canyons are thick at the bottoms, but it is in a burn, so the sides are visible. Glass the two canyons...no deer? Cross the bottom and start up the ridge between the two canyons in hopes of jumping the buck again, and getting a clean shot.

10:00AM Top of the fingers, and now 3 canyons away from my truck. No deer on the other side either. Dang it. Glass the next canyon over and see a saddle I did not notice....could the buck have gone that far without me seeing him? Of course, he is a deer, not a flourescent orange elephant. Cross anouther canyon and start glassing. No deer. Crap.

11:00AM Pull out my GPS and realize I am now 1.5 miles from my truck, and 4 major canyons away. Time to head back to the truck, grab some lunch, and head into the east canyons for the evening, so the sun will be at my back again, making it hard for the deer looking into the sun to see me. Think to myself....one last glassing of the three new fingers I see then head out. First canyon, nothing. second canyon, before I can even start glassing, I see a buck looking at me at the bottom, with two others in the brush. Binos up and notice he is a mature buck. Definitely not the same buck, not wide enough, but nice and tall. Right about his ears, so maybe 22" wide I'm thinking? But how many points??? Range him at 488 yds, set the scope to 500 and turn up the power to 20. In my scope, I can see he is a nice looking buck, but again, can't see how many points. Quartering on to me, head right, rump left. Plan my shot in case he is a 4x4, holding right at the front right shoulder.

11:05AM Deer is still looking at me without turning his head a bit. A 3x3 walks in front of him and heads up the hill to my right. Still looking at me. A small 4x4 walks in front of him heading up the same hill. As the 4x4 walks by, my buck takes a quick look to his left at the passing deer.....4x4 buck. Squeeze slowly and BOOM, the 100gr Barnes TSX is on its way! Deer does not move, jump, turn, flinch...nothing! Oh crap...did I just miss a buck at 488 yds??? The two smaller bucks take off like they are shot out of a cannon. Another buck, who I never saw, runs left and then turns right at me (luckily he was a 3x3 too). Chamber a second round quickly and just get my finger on the trigger for a second shot at the buck when he rears straight up, and falls backwards. DEER DOWN! No kicking, nothing, just down. Wait for a total of 1 minute and start heading down.

11:25AM Get to my deer....where is he? Look for about 5 minutes with no sign of him. Look back across the canyon to where I was and range my position.....425 yds. Oops, keep walking.

11:30AM My 2012 deer season is officially over. I have a mature 24" wide 4x5 on the ground. Months of planning, scouting, hand-loading, practicing, etc. are laid to rest.....wait....I am 1.5+ miles and 4.5 canyons away from my truck....the hard work has just begun! Snap a few photos, with my phone and camera, and think to myself....I forgot my bone saw in my truck, and I only have 3 knives? WT heck? OK, tag the deer so I am legal. This deer has a HUGE body, I mean I bet he was 200+ on the hoof easily. Bullet hit him just behind the shoulder blade on the right shoulder, took out the right lung, heart, and exited the left hip. I was pretty impressed with the .25-06 Ack Imp and the 100gr. Barnes TSX. OK, gut him in the bottom, skin him out up to the base of his skull and split the neck with a pocketknife and twist like I am in a serial killer movie. Head and cape are loose. Quarter him and hang the quarters in a couple tall burnt stumps about 6' off the ground. By now, even though it is only 38*, I am sweating like crazy. Still see your breath at noon. Beautiful day! So, I shed some sweatshirts/fleece and start tying them around the quarters hanging to keep the crows/coyotes off for the night. Prop open the ribs and lay it on the back half of the skin to keep it out of the dirt as much as possible.

1:00PM This is going to sound funny, but you hunters will get it. Pee all around my deer to try and keep coyotes from coming in, as I have to hike out the meat in the morning. Load up my tools and trash, sling my rifle over my back, grab the head/cape and throw it ver my shoulders and head out to the truck. Only 20oz of water left, so I need to take my time.

2:00PM As I top the second canyon (still 2 to go), I see a truck driving slowly on top of the ridge that my deer is laying at the bottom of. Great sign for packing out my deer meat, as it sure beats the way I came in, and am heading out now.

2:40PM Get to the top of the last canyon and see my truck. Out of water, out of fruit and snacks. Still a little over .5 miles to go.

2:50PM Bottom of the last canyon, my legs are on fire, my shoulders are on fire. Drop everything, lay down and take a 40 minute nap, just me and Bambi and my trusty .25-06 Ack Imp.

3:30PM Wake up, pack up and head straight up the last canyon wall.

3:50PM Make it to the road, still .5 miles of road to get to my truck. Drop the deer and rifle behind some low brush, and drop my pack by the road and walk back with nothing but my keys and an exhausted smile on my face. Jump in the truck, drive back to my pack, load up and hit the road back to camp by 4:15PM.

Now my wife and kids are on their way up to spend the hunt with me for the next 10 days, but they left Phoenix in the afternoon. As soon as I get reception, I send text photos of the deer to everyone I can think of who would appreciate it. My wife calls back asking, "We're still coming up, right?" "dang skippy, I took off a week and a half from work for this vacation, see you in a few hours!" (Plus, my future son-in-law was coming up, and I needed help on Saturday morning to pack out the meat! I'm not as stupid as I act sometimes.)

Saturday morning:

7:00AM Head out to find the road that is above my deer.

So, I think I know what road it MIGHT be......turns out, luckily, we got within 1/4 mile +/- above my deer, and only one small finger canyon over.

Got to my deer, nothing disturbed it overnight, and the meat feels like it has been in a chiller. Very cold to the touch. Cut out the tenderloins, backstraps, neck roasts and a touch of the rib meat. Leave the rib cage for the yotes. My oldest daughter packs the loose meat. My future son-in-law packs out the front quarters, and I get the joy of the back quarters. Luckily, I always bring my good frame pack, but needless to say, those hind legs are heavy! Back to the truck and camp within 4 hours.

Spent the rest of the 10 day hunt kicking back with the family and dogs, hiking, eating, sleeping, campfires, varmint hunting with my little daughter, etc. The temps warmed up considerably, which was great for us, but horrible for the hunt.

We usually see a lot of deer just driving the roads, and usually a nice mature buck every other day up there. We checked on other hunters at the lodge, and deer check station, and it was quite depressing. A LOT of small 2x2 deer were being harvested this year, and G&F said very few mature deer were being taken. Talked to a lot of guys in the field, and hardly any big deer were even seen. After the third day, hunters were all over the area I hunted, and seeing no deer at all. Talking with some guides, they stated they would have their clients shoot a deer like mine in a heart beat made me feel even luckier.

Still have my mountian lion tag, and never got a shot at a yote, but had a great time. My oldest daughter and her boyfriend came back on Monday the 29th and dropped off my deer at Kreuger's Creations Taxedermy for me, and we kept the meat on ice while we were up camping. The tenderloins and backstraps never made it home. The deer is extremely lean and not a bit of "game" taste to it. When I got back, I dropped off the quarters at a butcher I use, Sanchez Wild Game to be processed. Getting some hot chorizo, hot green chili sausage, steaks, and jalapeno/cheese snack sticks made up. Just got it back, and dang, good stuff.

Great times with the family, great memories, and I thank God He let me take a nice deer cleanly and ethically to feed my family. I got to spend time in the field with my younger daughter just sitting over a tank watching wildlife (and waiting for a yote). Got to watch my bird hunting dogs learn to tree squirrels, even though I didn't have a .22 to shoot them with. Got to meet some new hunters in the field, and really enjoy God's wonder and beauty.

On to some photos:

Last edited by lancetkenyon on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

Re: My 2012 "Meat for the dinner table" volunteer

Post by lancetkenyon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:37 am

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:18 am

That's a great buck, off-year or not. With that nice typical rack and great cape, he will make a pretty mount too.-------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Good looking buck. And thanks for the story.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Great stuff and story. Good looking buck, you should ad your story to the "STORIES" section of the website also. :thumb

lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lancetkenyon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:08 pm

Feel free to add it to the "stories" section. I love spending time in the field with my family, and this was a great year to do so.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:31 pm

.....and by the way, the 25-06 AI is a wicked-bad cartridge.---------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lancetkenyon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:01 pm

I am shooting a 100gr Barnes TSX at 3580FPS out of a 28" barrel. That translates to about 1363ft/lbs of kinetic energy @ 500yds, where a .308Win shooting 150gr at 2800fps is only 898ft/lbs of kinetic energy at 500yds, and a .30-06 shooting 150gr at 3000fps is at 1244ft/lbs of kinetic energy at 500yds. Small and fast beats heavy and slow in this case, especially when you factor in the much flatter trajectory which allows for more room for error is guessing yardages, plus I had a complete pass through at a quatering on deer at almost 500yds.

I spent a lot of time prior to hunting season working up an accurate load (I had faster loads, but not as accurate) and getting my ballistics charts made up out to 800yds. After scouting and realizing a long shot might be in order, I planned and practiced out to 600 yds, thinking 800yds might be posible too. I also had my .300RUM in the truck with ballistics out to 1000yds, in case I glassed up a big boy past 600+yds. With the light .257 bullet, I was leary to shoot a deer past 600yds with the .25-06 AI, because kinetic energy dropped below 1100ft-lbs. beyond that. Bullet drop and speed were not the issue, nor was accuracy.

I also have a .250 AI, which shoots the same bullet about 3100FPS, and my older daughter has taken a deer with it at 240+ yds when she was 11. One shot broadside two-shoulder pass through, deer went 40 yds.