Colorado unit 74 archery?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
billglodoski
Fawn
Fawn

Colorado unit 74 archery?

Post by billglodoski » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Has anyone ever hunted this unit before for deer? looking at possibly applying for the unit pretty good success rates considering you could get drawn almost every year. Google earth shows some pretty good looking high country on the north end of the unit.

BOHNTR

Re: Colorado unit 74 archery?

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:38 am

I know that on Google Earth it shows some great country in the Northern half of the unit (San Juan County), however, most of the bucks killed in the archery season come from the La Plata Mountains (La Plata County). Not as many deer, for some reasons, in the Northern half. One look in the CO Bowhunters record book will confirm that, as there are MANY from La Plata County. Hope it helps. .
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am

I live in the La Plata mountains in 74. No deer here, look somewhere else! lol

But on a more serious note, there is a fair amount of good high country hunting around here, much of it fairly accessible. The area sees average hunting pressure. This last fall was a hard year for hunting, as was the case in many other areas, given the weather and dry conditions. I didn't even see a buck, albeit, I was rifle hunting the 2nd season. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing ANY bucks throughout any of the hunting seasons this year. I manage a ranch that is close to 1800 acres, and it usually becomes haven for at least a few bucks once the pressure moves them on. Not to say they aren't out there though.

billglodoski
Fawn
Fawn

Post by billglodoski » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
Its kinda hard to plan a hunt without being able to scout.