Mule Deer On the Move

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mule Deer On the Move

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Think it will work? I have my doubts, but am glad they are trying it and hope for the best

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23659150&nid=14 ... d=queue-18

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: Mule Deer On the Move

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 pm

I don't know if it will work or not either but it beats hiring someone to shoot the deer like they did in bountiful. It was good that they shot 35 coyotes in one day in the area where these deer were moved. I hope it works and the next time there are nuisance deer they can just be moved instead of shot.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I agree, I'm not sure if it will work, guess I don't see why it won't work, but either way I'm glad someone it's trying something.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:24 am

Hopefully it does. It'll will be interesting to see what the outcome is either way.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 pm

So far this is good news...

An update:

So far, 3 collared does have died, 2 transplanted and 1 resident. In the short time before the sites were investigated, the carcasses had been ravaged by scavengers to the point it was hard to determine the cause of death. But one of the transplanted deer was a doe that we had trouble with on the table because she hyperventilated and heated up (106*) to the point we had to scramble to get enough snow to try to cool her down. I guess the trauma was too much for her. The others seem to be doing well, especially since we had that cold spell, but it's still too early to tell. I don't know how much they scattered, if at all, but I'll try to give you updates about every other week.

Lee Tracy, So. Region Chair
United Wildlife Cooperative

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=238319 ... -mule-deer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:29 pm

An update per David Smedley, BYU grad student, via Lee Tracy,

Lab results from the chronic wasting disease (CWD) tests came back from Colorado State University. CWD was not detected in any of the translocated deer.

Our Tuesday flight was canceled due to snow and we are waiting to reschedule.

We had one translocated deer mortality this week. This deer was found 1.2 miles northeast of its release site (4th release). Cause of death appeared to be predation as there was blood on the fur near the throat and one hindquarter had been fed on. The Utah Vetrinary Diagnostics lab in Nephi confirmed these suspicions as they identified puncture wounds on the throat and noted that all the organs appeared healthy. Although tracking conditions were not ideal (hard, crusty snow), we did observe what appeared to be small felid tracks (perhaps from a bobcat).

We've listened for radio signals 3 times since the last update and identified the general location for 48 of 49 resident deer and 47 of 48 (remaining) translocated deer. We have noticed a little more movement within the last week, but deer are still near release areas. From a small hill one mile south of the second and third release sites, we can hear more than 50 resident and translocated deer each time we listen for them. From this point most of the deer are spread north, northeast, and east. There are also a bunch of deer between the 1st and 4th release sites.

We are still missing one translocated deer (likely moved) and one resident deer (suspect radio failure). Both these deer were also missing last week and despite listening for each of these deer far to the south and north, we have been unable to hear them. They will be the focus of our efforts on the next flight.

We've now carefully (without disturbing them) observed 8 different translocated deer. Each has been associated with groups of resident deer. In the coming weeks, we will focus our efforts on carefully observing the remaining translocated deer (very time consuming) to determine the percentage that are integrated into groups of resident deer.

In summary, translocated deer have remained near release areas and appear to be integrating into the resident population. We've had four total mortalities (1 of 50 resident deer, 3 of 51 translocated deer). One of the translocated deer died of obvious capture myopathy (temperature of 106 degrees Fahrenheit at the time of capture) within a day of release. We are missing one translocated deer (likely moved) and one resident deer (suspect radio failure). Forty eight resident deer and 47 translocated deer were alive and accounted for this week.

Please forward to any that are interested.

David Smedley

Edited by Lee; All the release sites were east of Holden.
#1; GPS 39* 06.631' N 112* 13.606' W - 6800 N St/3600 E St
#2; GPS 39* 04.743' N 112* 15.574' W - Maple Hollow Rd/2400 E St
#3; Same as above
#4; GPS 39* 05.344' N 112* 13.343' W - Wide Canyon Rd

So far, so good, but it's still early.
Lee Tracy
UWC Southern Region Chair

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Post by brn2hunt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Looks like a cool program.. Hope it works!
"Ne A La Chasse"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Posting another update, I think this study is really cool interesting myself and am very curious as to results...

All,

Mule deer translocation update for February 2nd-February 8th

● We had a flight on Friday and located the the missing translocated deer and the missing resident deer. The missing translocated deer has moved approximately 4.5 miles northeast of it's release site (second release site). The missing resident deer (we suspect a weak collar) was near the same location we recorded on the last flight. This is approximately .3 miles north of a main road, but we have been unable to hear her from the ground. We will attempt to walk into this area next week and get a location on the ground.

● We had one translocated deer mortality this week. This deer died between Wednesday February 6th and Friday February 8th. Mountain lion tracks suggest cougar predation.

● We've listened for radio signals 3 times since the last update and identified the general location for 49 of 49 resident deer and 47 of 47 translocated deer. The farthest south we have recorded deer is approximately 4 miles south of the 2nd and 3rd release sites. The farthest north we have recorded de er is approximately 1.5 miles north of the 1st release site.&n! bsp; Most translocated can still be heard from release sites.

● We have continued to carefully (without disturbing them) observe translocated deer. We have now observed 14 different translocated deer. All but one of them has been associated with groups of resident deer. The deer that was observed alone had a noticeable limp, though it is unknown if the injury is related to the capture or occurred following release.
● We obtained a UHF receiver this week which will allow us to download data from the gps collars beginning next week.
● In summary, translocated deer have remained near release areas and appear to be integrating into the resident population. We've had five total mortalities (1 of 50 resident deer, 4 of 51 translocated deer). At least one of the translocated deer died of capture myopathy. Forty nine resident deer and 47 translocated deer were alive and accounted for this week.

David Smedley
Attachments
IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:40 am

It would be cool if they could find a way to transplant some of the problem deer out of the cities and help with areas that are down.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

105Coues
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 105Coues » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:49 am

Its awesome they are relocating them. I have always wished they would relocate AZ deer (does) from the kaibab to Southern AZ to boost the herds.