High Country hunting help

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

High Country hunting help

Post by muleywannabe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:21 pm

I know most of you are well seasoned in hunting mule deer in the high country. I have built quite a few points up and would like to give it a try on a high country buck. I am in good shape (will be in better of course) but I am a flat lander. Where is a good source to understand the terrain, area etc of certain spots. I plan on hunting colorado and would like the best possible opportunity to capitalize on a nice mature buck. I have never shot a high country buck so its a dream of mine to do so. I am also not adverse to eating a tag sandwich if I do not see any mature bucks. I think its very imperative to not shoot deer that are under 5 years of age. What I am asking is some advice you might be able to share as far as what I need, what to look for, what seasons...archery, second rifle etc.

thank you in advance...I dont expect anyone to share hunting areas as we all know that those are top secret :)

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Re: High Country hunting help

Post by TahoeRy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 pm

The best thing to do is to get deep into topo maps and satellite images of the areas you are looking into. This sounds like a new area to you, so if I was you the very first thing I would do is call the local biologist in the area you are looking to hunt. Talk to them about specific types of habitat you should focus on during the time of you year you are looking at hunting in. Have a list of questions ready for them and take that info to satellite images. I love google earth. When I go into a new area, I know everything. Wheres the water, trails, meadows, good vantage points, etc. You should spend so much time on those topos and images that you the area before you even set foot in the unit. This has saved me a few times. Also, get away from everybody. The farther you are away from trails and roads, the better.

Good luck!

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Great Advice! Well put. Thank you

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Muley, send me a pm. I'd like to talk to you more about your adventure.
There's always next year

oakbrush
2 point
2 point

Post by oakbrush » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:15 am

Muleywannabe,
How many points to you have? Might have some info for ya, but would need to know where you are at to discuss what options you might have.

Thanks,
oakbrush

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm

There are lots of good high country hunts in CO. You can get good intel off of a computer and from friends, but there is absolutely no substitute for getting "boots on the land." So pick a unit and be sure to go there, best during August. Get acquainted and develop a strategy. And then get a backup strategy becuase there is almost always another party or two of hunters in your area.

Main thing is to get back away from roads and do the three eights. Elevate, locate, assasinate. And be sure not to camp right where you're going to hunt. Go low impact in everything you do. Get and take the best optics you can, and a really good tripod, too.

Best of luck.

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Sorry for the delay. I have 6 points right now. I may wait a couple years and build more....what do you guys think?

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:06 pm

After further time and research, I have decided to do a guided Montana deer hunt this year and keep saving my points up for colorado. This gives me ample time to study maps, areas etc.

GregJefferson
Fawn
Fawn

Post by GregJefferson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Why would you not shoot a buck younger than 5 years old? Seems to me that not only would the meat be tough for such an old deer, but you could very well have wasted all your time and money for nothing.

I would advise you to consider some sort ofground blind. Hike until you locate the deer. Then set up said blind along their trails and just relax and wait. Just remember to be safe out there!