3 Point or Better Units

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com

Would you support some units being changed to 3 point or better?

Yes
46%
No
50%
Only if it was some units not all
4%

Total votes: 28

#1DEER 1-I
Spike
Spike

3 Point or Better Units

Post by #1DEER 1-I » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

How would everyone feel about keeping the current LE deer units the same as they are, and turning half or 1/3 of the general deer units into 3 point or better units? I would not want tags cut, in fact more tags could be given this way I think. And maybe after a few years of this bucks would begin to be better quality on these units and you could do late season management hunts to get rid of bad genes in the pool. Then manage the other half or 2/3 of the general units as they are now for the taking of any buck with antlers over 5 inches.
"Built Ford Tough"--well that's just not tough enough.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: 3 Point or Better Units

Post by hound_hunter » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Without knowing much on the topic, my initial opinion is that I would love to see half of the general units in Utah be 3 point or better units. It'd be worth the few years it took to see the average trophy quality increase on general units...again, I don't know any pros and cons, just my uneducated opinion.

KYLLYR
Spike
Spike

Post by KYLLYR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:34 pm

I think it would be a very bad idea ! :>/ Almost all of the western states including Utah has tried this already and found it does not work. I live and hunt Coloardo (have never hunted Utah). When colorado did this we found lots of 2 points shot and left and the typical guys that shoot the first buck they see have to hold out for a bigger deer and the bigger buck numbers dropped.

COOPERD
Spike
Spike

Post by COOPERD » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Id like to see some three point or better units. I dont care if guys like to shoot two points, I just dont

#1DEER 1-I
Spike
Spike

Post by #1DEER 1-I » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:35 pm

KYLLYR wrote:I think it would be a very bad idea ! :>/ Almost all of the western states including Utah has tried this already and found it does not work. I live and hunt Coloardo (have never hunted Utah). When colorado did this we found lots of 2 points shot and left and the typical guys that shoot the first buck they see have to hold out for a bigger deer and the bigger buck numbers dropped.
I understand that but if you shot a 2 point when there were laws saying you couldn't your a poacher not a hunter. The same person that shot the 2 point and left it lie are the same people who would kill something out of season if they could get away with it. Better law enforcement and understanding of the law given to the public is what is at fault as well as the person who killed the 2point. A big bucks hard to get, don't make it sound as easy as just because there are antler restrictions you can just as easily go shoot a big buck as that 2 point you were going to shoot.
"Built Ford Tough"--well that's just not tough enough.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 am

I voted NO.

Historically, they do nothing to increase the maturity level within the respective deer herd. Additionally, there will be "mistakes" made and deer left to rot, which only adds additional issues for the herd in question. From my years as a game warden working directly with wildlife managers (biologist) I was taught "deer101" in it's simplest form. If you want to increase the amount of older age class animals and increase overall deer numbers in the respective herd, you must ensure two things:

1. You have enough summer & winter range to ensure the carrying capacity is maintained to an acceptable level (buck to doe ratio and overall herd size).

2. You must reduce the amount of resource(s) taken (deer) until you are near carrying capacity and objectives are met.

The second statement is what MOST Utahans fight. If you truly want to see more mature bucks and overall deer, you need to reduce the amount of deer taken (tags issued). You can not continue to issue the amount of tags today and expect things to get "better" tomorrow. There's a reason the Pauns / Henry's continue to produce mature deer. It's not because hunters only take 3-point or better bucks.......it's because there's far less hunters taking deer off the unit. You can't deplete a resource and expect to manage it effectively. JMO
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:55 am

I voted NO also, Utah has tried it and it simply doesn't work...sorry folks it's the truth. I talked with a DWR officer about it years ago, he set me straight about it also. I would LOVE it if UTAH would cut tags, but I'm a minority I'm afraid.

MT Backcountry
Spike
Spike

Post by MT Backcountry » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:14 pm

I know that 4 point or better units do not work, but have been curious about 3 point units. It sounds similar to the brow tined bull or better units that are in Montana. It lets the animals get a little older, but not to trophy level before they become available for harvest.

I think it would work best if done across a lot of units. Otherwise it will draw attention to one or a few units and everyone will apply there expecting more trophies.

castnshoot
Spike
Spike

Post by castnshoot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

" I would LOVE it if UTAH would cut tags, but I'm a minority I'm afraid."

In Utah I hear a lot more people now days that would like to see some serious cuts. I think probably a majority of deer hunters these last few years lean in that direction.

Not likely the DWR will do it with out some alternitive funding, which is hard to find now days.

As for 3 points or better, I just don't know because I have never seen it done on the herds that I watch.

I did see some positive things when they went to a 5 day rifle hunt for a couple of years.

codyca
Fawn
Fawn

Post by codyca » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:38 pm

We have to cut tags whether we like it or not.