nevada ruby mt

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
mathewsbowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

nevada ruby mt

Post by mathewsbowhunter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Hello everyone, i am new to nevada and hope to draw for the ruby mt area 10 i put in for early season. my question is is where is the best publc access where i can get in and away from the crowd. i am ready to do some hikng to kill a big deer, i am abow hunter so i am ready, please help thanks

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Re: nevada ruby mt

Post by M.Bird » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:38 am

the best way to find a big buck is to get off the road, that does not mean 1/2 mile
that means get into the hills and do lots of scouting
if you hunt with sticks, you need to find the aspen
big bucks like aspen during Stick season
aspen in the ruby's are in the higher elevations

I prefer to be 2 miles off the roads when i hunt, but that does not mean you will see anything

do your homework, scout, and scout more, there further you are off the road the better your scouting will hold up when all the vehicles roll in day before hunting starts

good luck
M.Bird

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:43 pm

I couldn't agree more. Check your trailmaps and GPS software (if you have it) and stay away from any jeep trails and hiking trails. FInd high altitude meadows surrounded by thick trees, aspens and a water source. Camp out for a day or so and watch the meadow in the early mornings and late evenings. The deer will be in full velvet that time of year and it hurts there antlers to be in the thick stuff with velvet. I would do some satellite scouting to start and find a few spots that you want to scout, then just plan some trips and get the boots on the ground. Sometimes you will actually find them closer to busy areas that you would think. Last year, I found a great group of bucks only about 1.5 miles from a busy campground but it was way off the beaten path and in a big valley that was hard to access. Just look for good habitat and focus on those areas.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 pm

While I agree with the previous posts, I can also say that there are lower, sage pockets around the Rubys that hold some HUGE bucks, even during archery season. If you have the time, check out some of the periphery and you just might find a pot-o-gold. If you do happen to find one of these sage monsters, don't pressure him at all and he will be right there on opening day.-----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

mathewsbowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mathewsbowhunter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:44 am

I just wanted to say thank you to all the members who have given me advice. I am new to nv and I live in reno and the area that I plan to hunt is not close to home. I will be doing lots if google earth scouting and hopefully at least one trip out there before season. Any more Advice on where there is public access like what roads to go off of will be greatly appreciated. Like I said I am not afford to hike 7 miles for a good deer. Thanks again bill

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 pm

google can help locate water and tree pockets areas, but in person scouting is hands down the best. Good luck otherwise :)

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Thu May 02, 2013 6:30 am

My suggestion would be to make sure you are in the best shape of your life. If you are hunting the foothills, maybe not so much, but if you are hunting the actual "Ruby's", your fitness level will be the greatest factor on the hunt.

Lots of trail maps available on line just search the Ruby Crest Trail.

This is a great hunt, lots of quality deer, and hard work. Don't under estimate the size of the Ruby's, they are big.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

dmccoy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dmccoy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:13 pm

I agree and disagree with the above answers. The rubys are huge and even if there's a road nearby does not mean the big bucks are gone. My suggestion if your tight on time is late evening hunts and a good spotting scope and binos. I glassed several bucks in the 175 range off Lamoille canyon road during the last two hours of daylight. That being said if you have to time enjoy the hike deep into the backcountry. Its well worth the view

gabell727
Fawn
Fawn

Post by gabell727 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:06 am

I a new to Nevada also. I have a tag for early 101=109. I am looking at the rubys. I plan to hike in deep. I am alone. I wold consider a hunting partner, if anyone is interested.

dmccoy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dmccoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:41 am

By early do you mean early rifle or the early archery? the rifle season can be a bear depending on the weather. Would love to go but have tags to fill as well good luck. Ps Kings peak is a nice hike :-)