Our 2013 Colorado Muley Hunts

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
KYLLYR
Spike
Spike

Our 2013 Colorado Muley Hunts

Post by KYLLYR » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:20 pm

We had an exceptional year on muleys this year starting with my archery muley I took this year while hunting with my dad. He did not hold out at all and took the first decent shot he had gotten. He ended up taking an even smaller 2x2 than mine, but was very happy with the opportunity and the buck. (If anyone wants to see a pic please PM me)

I was trying to hold out and on the 2nd morning I got on 2 great bucks, but did not get the range right with the rangefinder and over shot him. On the 5th norning I got on a decent, but heavy 3x3, to within 19 yards in his bed. Of course he busted me trying to draw back and stand up. He was off like a shot. That evening I found a 2x2 that was slicked out and made a stalk while mom and dad watched thru there binos and with having 3 bear tags in another unit along with 3 archery elks tags I took the oppotunity and ended my muley hunt. I also got to withing 20 yards of a big 330" type bull, but he also got the jump on me, and I did not connect. All in all a great season hunting with my dad, mom, daughter, and wife.

My nephew Cobi (13) put in a few good stocks and had one miss before he connected on his very first buck. A very proud dad (my brother) and a very proud family ! Great way to start a hunting career here in Colorado and to do it with his bow.

Then we had another wonderful muley hunt during 2nd rifle season. It started opening morning when I got my niece on a beautiful buck. She was able to get the job done after a not so good shot and some long tracking, but I guess that makes for a longer hunting story. It was an emotional rollercoaster for her with tears of pain and then joy. The buck is her biggest to date and will be a tough one to beat.

Then the second afternoon had us hunting in the nieghboring unit, due to my son and nephew having tags there. My nephew ended up taking a nice 2x2 (he was not picky due to only having two days to hunt).

My wife also had a tag and passed up many bucks throughout the week. She was tempted on Wednesday by a great 3x3, but did not pull the trigger. When Friday morning came I found another great buck and we made our move. She made a great shot on him and he dropped in his tracks.

Then finally was my son. He only had four and a half days to hunt and was not seeing the bucks like we were in the other unit. He ended up taking a fine little 2x2 on the last morning of the hunt.

Then we have had a crazy start to the 3rd rifle season. It started with my son and brother both missing 2 very large bucks opening day. I did not have time off from work so I had to leave Sunday. My son stayed hunting with my dad and his friend Justin.

I was sent a picture on Wednesday of Justin with a great little 2x2. (Justin can be retard ! Sorry for the crazy pick guys !)

Then I received the call around 4:30 pm that Jacob had just taken a great buck and I could tell from his voice he was very excited and proud. I could not be happier as it is a super buck and his best buck to date. Congrats son !

My brother connected Thursday morning on a great buck, it was not the monster we were after, but he could not be happier.

My buddy Ken also connected on a awesome buck in another unit on Tuesday.

Another great year for the entire family and friends.

Quinton
Last edited by KYLLYR on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiker

Re: 2013 Colorado Muley Hunts

Post by Hiker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Congrats to all of you on your bucks.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Nice pile-o-bucks.-----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Well dad gum, you weren't kidding you guys really did well. Some great bucks and good eating!

COLO3D
Spike
Spike

Post by COLO3D » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Dang, save some for next year! Just kidding, that is an awesome year.

KYLLYR
Spike
Spike

Post by KYLLYR » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks for the great comments guys ! :thumb