Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
coloradobone
Fawn
Fawn

Unit 62 info

Post by coloradobone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Deer1.jpg
Deer1.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
I hunted unit 62 2n rifle in 2012. Was sent there by a friend and I had a really enjoyable hunt. Ended up connecing with a 3x4 muley (first muley ever) the first morning of the hunt and had a few opportunities to fill my bull tag, but eventually came home without a bull. I did pass on a 3x3 bull on the 4th day that was legal on the brow tine rule only because I had an up close encounter with a pretty large bull on the second day. By the way, I kicked myself in the rear-end the entire 1.5hr walk in the dark back to the ATV (plenty of time to think it over). Local fella told me you never pass on a legal bull on your first elk hunt cause you may never see another one. Very exciting hunt with alot of elk in the area. Most deer had already moved down lower (probably to pinion juniper) by the time we were got there for 2nd season.

Anyway there is my story. I am planning on sticking with this unit because I want to learn it better. I know everyone says, "it is the most heavily hunted unit in CO," which may be true but where I was at I only saw one other guy that left the road and the rest just glassed from the vehicles and by the 4th day of the hunt it was more like a ghost town.

If anyone has any information on any of the roadless areas I would love to hear pros/cons whatever you care to share. Has anyone ever hunted the Escalante Wilderness Studay Area for deer or elk? According to the the BLM map it says access from the divide road to this WSA a high clearance 4x4 is suggested and only in dry weather.

Also I have info on units 27 and 15. Hunted 27 one time in muzzy and the deer hunting was decent but I beleive it is a sleeper as far as elk numbers. Had elk all over but no tag; you know the story. Anyway thanks in advance and merry Christmas.

KYLLYR
Spike
Spike

Re: Unit 62 info

Post by KYLLYR » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:01 am

Nice buck and congrats ! I sent you a PM.

Quinton