Best method of shed hunting

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year
Fawn
Fawn

Best method of shed hunting

Post by He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:43 pm

I am new to teh forums and just wonder what the best method is, at my uncles ranch up here in BC, i am always seeing an absolutely massive buck, and he has been around the same area for over 4 years, and I really want to find his sheds and him during the season

browtine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by browtine » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:19 pm

I would suggest baby sitting him. I have found the most dedicated person who "lives" with the deer he wants sheds from, usually comes out on top. I would also look into using horses. Height is a good advantage in thick stuff. Good luck!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:06 am

I'm not sure what the country is like he is living in, but a popular method in many areas is simply a good vantage point and a good pair of optics.
This works better on white, sun worn sheds of course. Get up high if possible and glass a bunch of areas. More ground you cover, better the success, right? I've also found a few sheds where people have already been through with a fine toothed comb. By shear effort and hiking where no one else was willing to go.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Fawn
Fawn

Post by He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:59 pm

I was just browsing through the forums and noticed teh shed hunting section, sorry about post here instead of there. This year I am hoping for a bigger buck han i got this year( my first deer , 3x3) i know where most of his trails are because me and my dad stumbled across him numerous times while moose hunting. but what areas do they prefer to snap off their head gear? by a bedding area, food source or just thick cover because i cant imagine them just breaking bones off their heads out in the open.

BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:02 pm

HBBNY,
Where 'bouts in BC ya from? I'm from the Kamloops area. Most of my sheds are from heavily timbered areas. If you can see that big boy you have an advantage because you know where he lives. The best thing to do is sit on him, keeping an eye on his movements. When you spot him with no headgear, you can then pinpoint his sheds from there. I spend a lot of time gridding the area. I try to cover every inch if possible. It does take a lot of work and you need luck on your side in the timber. Especially because of the rodents. It's tough finding a matched set in BC that haven't been chewed on. Last year I picked up this shed under the snow. It wasn't on the ground for more than a few days and the dang rodents had aready chewed it. I have put in more than 20 hrs trying to find the match but haven't found it yet.
"Trophy value is not always a measure of tine and beam. It may be just a measure of hard, solid hunting in which both man and deer conducted themselves well, so that neither was shamed." - John Madson, "Why Men Hunt"

Fawn
Fawn

Post by He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:13 pm

I cant exactly baby sit him now because I am in school, but in the summer when i go to my uncles to help out i have minimal chores and have almost an entire day to myself, so the summer is when I'll be doing the looking. By the way I live in williams lake

Fawn
Fawn

Post by He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:13 pm

also, will a call designned for white tail deer work for mule deer? even just to stop him long enough for a shot?

Fawn
Fawn

Post by He'll_Be_Bigger_Next_Year » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:59 am

in the shed photo section you can see the sheds you've helped me find. thanx