Doe?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Doe?

Post by Muley Stalker » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:11 pm

There was a time in my life that I hunted for nothing but bucks and bulls. I've been hunting every year since the early 50's, so I guess you can say i'm old school. That's how we thought back then.

Things have changed though. For one i'm an old fart now, and don't camp anymore. So, i'm lucky enough to live close to where I can hunt. I only hunt the units that I can drive to every morning, and come home every night. I've retired this year from elk hunting. Getting the meat out alone has become too much of a chore. Even if it's a cow.

So, i'm down to hunting for deer only in the units close by. As the years have gone by it's become harder to get deer tags from too many hunters. I can only hunt for a buck every other year, because I need at least 1 point to get the buck tag. At my age (71) I can't afford to skip hunts to build points. I like game meat too much anyway. So, every other year I hunt for does.

You don't read much about doe hunting on deer forums. Everyone is fixated on antlers. So, what's your story? Do you just hunt for bucks? Do you hunt for bucks and does, or do you just hunt does?
Keep your nose in the wind.

BOHNTR

Re: Doe?

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:34 pm

I will bowhunt for either, although more so for bucks.......I usually draw an either sex deer tag every year in the Golden State,as well as a buck only tag.......so every other year I try and take a doe on the either sex tag.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:56 am

I don't hunt does in my state (Utah) for the sole purpose of trying to save our Mule Deer herds. But have no problem taking either species as long as the herd is stable. Haven't killed a doe in over 20 years. :)

So for now guess I'm mostly after bucks/horns/meat like you stated. Might have to start getting into cow/spike Elk hunts though as it's becoming more and more difficult to draw a general deer tag. I want some meat. :)

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:10 am

If you talk to the DOW you'll understand that taking does is good for herd control. Just like taking cows for elk herd control. They don't offer doe tags to please hunters. It has a purpose.

So, if you don't hunt does, because you think you're helping the herd. You need a better reason.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:15 am

I'll have to agree to disagree. :)

There are VERY few doe tags even offered in our state anymore. There is a couple of areas where I will agree with your statement, meaning taking some does in these areas for herd control is a good idea and beneficial. The winter range is overrun and there is no food source for the deer/does in those areas.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:16 am

Maybe this would be a better question.

Do you just hunt for bucks, and why?

1. You're strictly a trophy hunter.

2. You think it's better for the herd.

3. You think the meat taste better. ( :) )

4. More challenge.

5. Doe hunting is for kids.

6. I love the taste of antlers.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:22 am

MuleyMadness wrote:I'll have to agree to disagree. :)

There are VERY few doe tags even offered in our state anymore. There is a couple of areas where I will agree with your statement, meaning taking some does in these areas for herd control is a good idea and beneficial. The winter range is overrun and there is no food source for the deer/does in those areas.
You're not looking at it right. The reason there's no doe tags is they don't need to take does for optimum herd numbers. They control the herd by the number of tags they offer. In Colorado the units all have different doe tags that are offered according to what the DOW is trying to do with the herds. Herds are basically controlled with the females. It take few bucks to breed all the does. If the herd gets too big you need to cut down doe numbers.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:00 am

If the herd gets too big you need to cut down doe numbers.
Exactly my point, the herds ARE NOT to big in almost all areas in the state of Utah. Thus no reason for doe tags.

See we agree after all. :)

Trust me I know where your coming from, I've hashed this OVER & OVER for years with a variety of folks, including DWR officers.

To answer your other question, I hunt for challenge, love of outdoors, meat, family, time, peace, exercise, stress relief, etc. No I'm not strictly a Trophy Hunter, no I don't think it's better for the herd, no a big ole buck doesn't taste better (but looks better). :)

Doe hunting is for everyone if need be, and I love the look of antlers. :))

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:02 am

FYI - The DWR is trying to INCREASE Mule Deer numbers in our state, they have not reach our or there objective numbers yet.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:38 am

Trust me. I only hunted for bucks for decades, and i'd still prefer it. It was no big deal if I couldn't hunt for a buck in the past, because I always had elk to hunt. Now that i'm down to just deer hunting i've had to give in to hunting for a doe.

I try to make it as much of a challenge as possible. I use a traditional sidelock muzzleloader with round ball, and primitive sights. I'm actually hunting the rifle season, but still use the muzzy. The DOW has given me a special license to use a scope in muzzleloader season due to my bad vision. I've lost the sight in my shooting eye, and not very good vision in my good eye. I had to learn to shoot left handed, but it feels ok now. I never could bring myself to use a scope in muzzleloader season.

As a still hunter who hunts dark timber. I'm used to getting close on my shots. It's how I hunt all animals. So, i'll need to get within bow range with the muzzleloader for the doe hunt. A little more of a challenge, but not as hard as a buck, or bull.

It sure beats not hunting.