Rutting in the Colorado high country?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
ArrowAndBow
Fawn
Fawn

Rutting in the Colorado high country?

Post by ArrowAndBow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Just wondering what's going on up in the high country. I haven't been able to get up to check trail cams since September.

If you've been out recently, will you share with us your thoughts on how the deer are moving around, what rutting behavior you're seeing, etc. Has the recent precip stirred things up? I'm talking specifically about Colorado.

I'm taking my two boys (10 & 7) up this weekend- we are all super pumped.

Happy Hunting
Good judgement comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgement

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rutting in the Colorado high country?

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Don't have any info for Colorado High Country, but weather should definitely help stir things up. Rut has started to kick in a little bit in a few places. I'm in Southern UT

ArrowAndBow
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ArrowAndBow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks just the same!
Good judgement comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgement

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Just got back from SW Colorado and the deer are definitely not down from the high country. We got about an inch of snow last Monday morning but it melted off by about noon. I saw a few bucks that day but virtually none before or after. The only buck I saw before or after the day it snowed was the small one I filled a tag on for meat. I was hoping all of the hunting pressure higher up from us would push the deer down into our area, but the deer weren't even at the medium elevations. There were hardly NO hunters in our area and we pretty much picked our own hunting spots daily without any competition. Buy the end of the week, the hunters that were all camped higher than us, were moving down looking for deer and elk because they couldn't find any. Hopefully CO will get some good snow soon and get those deer moving for the rest of you.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:17 pm

I've been hunting the central part of the state just east of the divide and have seen no evidence of the rut. We are hunting elk but have seen a number of deer. Does with does and single bucks. I guess the bucks no being in groups may be a sign of the rut but I've yet to see any bucks and does together.

The good news is the weather is going to take a turn for the better. The temps have already started dropping (14 degrees for this morning's hunt) and snow starting on Monday and for the better part of the week.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.