Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Dirtymax
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Dirtymax » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:51 am

As a new member I first want to thank you for allowing me to join your community. I live in south central Indiana so many probably will wonder why someone from my locale would join. For many years my dream has been to hunt Mule Deer, so what better place to gain knowledge.
My son moved to Texas 6 years ago and I seldom get to see him. I know that there are Mulies in the state so it would be a great opportunity for me to fulfill my dream and spend time with him while doing it. We are both avid bowhunters. I need help however in trying to find the right areas in the state to do this and if any of it is public land If any of you out there can give me some help in this it would be greatly appeciated. Thanks.
Speed doesn't kill Shot placement does!!!!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:02 am

Don't have any info on Texas, but wanted to welcome you!
Hope someone out there can help you out.
::wel

Utahbowhunter
Monster
Monster

Post by Utahbowhunter » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:03 am

Welcome. Well i dont know texas, but what i do know is that bowhunting mule deer is not the same as whitetail. Mule deer are much harder, espeacially with a bow!!! You have to spot and stalk them. Unless you can sit in a blind at a pond and wait till that buck comes along! Hope you get a chance to go muledeer hunting in texas and GOOD LUCK! :thumb

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:24 am

Never been to texas, can't help you there. But welcome to Muleymadness.
Deadi

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:35 am

Welcome to MuleyMadness! As with the previous posters, I have never hunted Mulies in Texas but hopefully someone here will be able to help you out.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:59 am

Welcome to Muley Madness. :) From what I know of Texas, most if not all of the good hunting is on private land. I know they have Muleys in West Texas but to be honest, a lot of Texans do their Muley hunting in New Mexico.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:51 pm

Welcome DirtyMax! I had the misfortune of living in the panhandle of Texas for a few years. The good news is there are mulies. The bad news is there is very, very little public land to hunt. Further south you run into the "desert mulies". Texans have been trying to get them classified as a separate species for a number of years because they don't tend to be as big. What part of the state is your son in? Years back when I lived there it wasn't a problem getting permission to hunt on someone's land. Now a days, with all the big hunting ranches in the state, most private landowners will charge you to hunt their land, whether they manage the deer or not. Not sure how much that helps you.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:45 pm

not much info here just that the north west corner is supposed to be good and i've seen a few pics from good bucks come from there

txhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by txhunter » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:32 pm

ABert is right. I live in Texas and there is no public land and most people will not let you hunt on their land for free because of liability reasons. The cheapest way would be to find a ranch that allows "day hunting". By "day hunting" I mean the landowner charges you X amount of dollars for hunting access for one day. Be careful though because you don't get to scout the area so you may not get a deer, much less see one. Another option would be to find a landowner who leases hunting rights to his ranch per season. This would be more expensive than day hunting but you would have access to the land for a couple of months instead of a few days. Our lease costs $1500 per gun but we get to hunt muleys, whitetails, turkey, bobcats, etc. Other than that you could go with an guide/outfitter service who manages a game ranch. This would be the most expensive option but would almost guarantee you a NICE muley assuming you picked a good outfitter. Expect to pay at least $5000+ for a guided hunt. Hope that helps!

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:22 am

Welcome!