First timer muley questions

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
PSUBowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

First timer muley questions

Post by PSUBowhunter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:56 pm

We are planning a mule deer hunting trip to western North Dakota this fall. This will be our first time mule deer hunting and I was hoping you guys that hunt muleys alot could give us some pointers. We will probably be doing mostly spot and stalk. It will be an archery hunt. I would like to know anything about mule deer hunting that could possibly help us out. ( we are from the east, so we only hunt out of tree stands.) What gear is necassary, how far should i be able to shoot, etc.

Also, does anyone have any experience hunting in ND and what should we try to hold out for. Thanks for any help.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:15 pm

PSUbowhunter, welcome to MuleyMadness!!! I can tell ya, this is a great place to start your research. The folks here have a wealth of knowledge regarding Mule Deer (I'll try to help out but I am far from the smartest on this site).

I will begin by saying that I am a rifle hunter so as far as bow gear goes, you'll have to wait for one of the others to respond. As for hunting Mulies themselves....FUN, FUN, FUN!

You mentioned "spot-and-stalk". That's the way most mule deer hunting works due to the wide open country they frequent (You'll have to let the folks that have hunted ND to give you the rundown on the terrain there. I am speaking from my experiences). Therefore you'll need some quality optics. Cheap ones work, sure, but the better the optics the better chance you have of spotting those big mulies. I've seen bucks lay flat in the wide open in a rock slide and completely disappear. They'll lay under sage brush or scrub brush or against a rock bluff and unless you look hard you'll never see them.
If you've hunted at all, and from your post I know you have, you know you have to make sure the wind is in your favor when stalking, try not to skyline yourself, and go s...l...o...w. In the wide open country they can spot ya from a long ways off and more often than not they know you're there before you spot them...even if they give you no indication that they have a care in the world. As for bow tactics and gettin' within bow range, one of the bow hunters here at MM will have to help you out.
Good, quality hiking boots are also a MUST. Normally you'll cover a lot of rough terrain while trying to locate and then stalk your buck. You'll also need a light-weight quality pack with you. That same rough country you'll be hiking through to get to the bucks will be the same country you'll have to travel back through to get out. De-boning the deer and packing the meat out is always the easiest way if you're on foot and deep in the country but quartering/halving the deer are also options. Therefore a lightweight de-boning kit or field dressing kit can come in handy (I use just a serrated edged knife but I'll tell ya, I've been MEANING to get me a de-boning kit one of these days...LOL).
I also carry a hand-held GPS unit with me to mark spots in which I want to return later (to include my camp site...LOL), mark spots in case I need to leave gear or the animal and make a return trip, etc. I have a habit of hiking all over the place before realizing that I have not been paying too much attention as to where I am exactly and the GPS unit has bailed me out every time.
There is a lot more that I am sure I am forgetting. I am also sure that the other folks here at MM can fill in the blanks. If you have more precise questions then fire them at us. The more exact the questions are the better the answers we can give you.
Take care my friend and I look forward to your future posts. Also, please remember to let us know how your hunt turns out and show off your pics at the same time.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:01 pm

PSUBowhunter, Welcome. For Mule Deer in ND I take it you'll be hunting in the breaks country of the Little Missouri. The only trees that would support a stand are the Cottonwoods right down in the bottoms, where Muleys don't usually spend much time.

Believe it or not, the country is very rugged, lots of deep, and steep coulees.
It's very much like the Missouri River Breaks in Montana. Yes spot and stalk works very well.

I think the best way to archery hunt the breaks country is. Find a heavily used deer trail, using the wind to your advantage. Get a good ambush spot from above, and use it much like you would a tree stand.

Good Luck

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:12 pm

Welcome :thumb
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Believe it or not u will have better luck waiting till the end of rifle season to hunt bucks with a bow,once they go into the rut your chances on connecting with a "shooter" buck with a bow skyrocket.

PSUBowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by PSUBowhunter » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:31 am

So when do you think the best time to go muley hunting in ND would be. We were planning to out the last week of September. Is it alot better latter in the season.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:07 am

PSUBowhunter, Good to have you on MuleyMadness :) Welcome!

Is a archery tag "over-the-counter" in ND? because I know the buck rifle tags are by draw and ND only gives out 1% of their tags to Non-Residents. So the rifle and muzzleloader tags are pretty tough to draw for a NR.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

PSUBowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by PSUBowhunter » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:43 pm

The archery tags are lottery also, but I have talked to several people and they said you have decent odds of drawing, and we are putting in as a party. Worst cast scenario is we dont draw and go to SD and buy over the counter license.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:17 pm

PSUBowhunter

::wel , don't have any experience with the area in dicussion. But any other general questions you have? Fire away!

PSUBowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by PSUBowhunter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:22 am

I guess one of my main questions is what would be the best technique to hunt these mulies in this area. We will be hunting around the Missouri River, so the land is pretty cut up and rugged with steep deep draws.

Also, do you think it would be worth applying for an antelope tag also.