MuleyMadness Roll Call

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
NolanOutdoors
Fawn
Fawn

Re: MuleyMadness Roll Call

Post by NolanOutdoors » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:34 am

I am Rick Nolan, born and raised in Dallas. I move to Oklahoma in 1999 chasing a job. I lived in New Mexico for a year in 2004 2005 (more job stuff). I have been in Human Resource management for over 20 years working mostly in transportation, oil and gas and now manufacturing.

I started hunting at 12/13 years old and started bow hunting in the mid-70's. In the late 70s I had to chose fishing or hunting. Since I could make money fishing that is wait I did. I fished tournaments until 5 or 6 years ago when it finally quit being fun. At one time I had a dozen or so sponsors from Skeeter Boats, Mercury Outboards, All Star rods, etc. adn averaged 18 to 24 tournaments a year. I started hunting again 8 or 9 years ago, mostly with my son who had developed the interest in bow hunting. I hunt about 85% with a bow. We deer lease in Red River county (northeast) Texas.

I made my first vacation trip to Colorado in the mid 90's and fell in love with the mountains. Went on my first elk hunt in 2005 and have not missed many seasons. Not killed one yet but i sometimes get picky on what I want I kill. I am not one that has to kill to enjoy the hunt.
Rick Nolan, SPHR
NolanOutdoors.com

jimikinz
Fawn
Fawn

Hello From San Diego

Post by jimikinz » Wed May 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Just wanted to say hello. I'm a long-time outdoor guy and bird hunter, but a realatively new big game hunter, been checking the forum out for a while, and finally took the time to join up.

Hopefully I can contribute a bit and lean a lot. I hunt with a flintlock or a percussion lock BP rifle, and patched balls in the "mountain man" tradition, as I'm very interested in the history of that era. I've been hunting in ernest for the past 3 seasons, and so far I've managed to blunder into two Wyoming antelope and a local San Diego Mule deer, but look foreward to getting a few more notches on the old belt.

I hunt local San Diego mountains each fall...and although I'm a newbie, I would be pleased to help out in any way I can.

Jim Anderson

plentycoupe
Fawn
Fawn

Post by plentycoupe » Thu May 05, 2011 4:18 am

Hello all,
As you can guess I am a new member on here. I wanted to start by posting on here as was requested.
I was born in Montana but only lived there for a few years. Didn't hunt much as a kid but got very serious about hunting maybe 15 years ago.
I started hunting with a longbow and still do when I can. I also hunt with modern firepower! My go to rifle is either a 300 wsm or my tikka .270 win. Both shoot great and are a lot of fun.
I am a Soldier in the Army and have been for just over 19 years. At the current time I am sitting in sunny Afghanistan. Figured I would use what time I have, when not playing Army, to plan an awesome Mule deer hunt.
I am still in the infancy stages there as I want to narrow down the state and will work from there out. I have been buying points for Wyoming and will have 4 by the time I go am ready for this hunt. Planning on 2013.
I currently live in the great state of Alaska and spend every free moment hunting and fishing up there.
Usually start off with spring bear, last year I killed my first longbow black bear. I hunted griz on the north slope and was within 35 yards of one boar and 50 yards of a boar and sow breading pair. They all won though!! Maybe next time.
After that the fishing starts and then it is on to caribou and Dall Sheep( my favorite). I will have a great sheep hunt planned for next fall!
I am very interested in hunting tactics and tips for mule deer. Equipment that you experienced hunters use.
Most of all just chating with great people on the subject and meeting new friends!
Thanks for reading and I look forward to talking and learning about all of you.
Jason

DESERT ARCHER
Fawn
Fawn

Post by DESERT ARCHER » Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm

I have been a member for a day but have always visited the web site its a great forum for DIE hard hunters. i live in Arizona, Cave Creek heart of awesome desert mule deer country. i am 20 years old grew up hunting with dad shot my first cow elk at 10 in az. i always loved the outdoors if its hunting,fishing or camping or a day hike its all good. i find the most excitment of bow hunting.

Michigan Hawkeye
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Michigan Hawkeye » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 am

First Post here, just joined this AM.

I am obviously a Michigan boy, raise here in the Great Lake State, and spent many an hour on the big lakes and tributaries fishing Kings and Steelies. The other big play in our state is bow and rifle hunting whitetails. Great fun, but with 700K hunters, few real trophy oppt.

Join the site as myself, my bro, and a good bud I grew up with fising and hunting finally drew Mule tags for Montana. Orginally we were planning to hunt the Jordan / Circle area, however, now that we have tags, we find out that the winter kill was pretty bad, so we are searching for a location advise. We wil be in Mt from Nov. 5 to the 13/14 depending on success. We are looking for good bucks, not world class, but good solid 4 x 4 with either tall or wide or both head gear. We expect to do some walking to earn our deer, and do not play the road hunt game. Most of the hunts in Michigan are farmland, however in our younger days we went as far as crossing a good size lake to access state ground that was not available via drive in, this effort paid off with several good bucks and little pressure.

Right now for better or worse, we are thinking the southeast corner, say the Broadus - Ashland area. However we are really looking for advise on where we might consider. The game biologist we have talked to suggested region 4 and 5, however we know nothing about these area's. Any pointers or suggestions on how to narrow down and area that will offer good amount of open ground and choice on were to hunt. We plan to bring 1 quad to help bring game out, but will not use it for riding around to scout and disturb game. Any comments appreciated,
MH

huh
Fawn
Fawn

Post by huh » Sun May 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey guys new to the site. Grew up on MI whitetails, but moved to MT later in life and now split my time between the east and west. All of my hunts are DIY archery hunts, mostly elk, but I enjoy many other species and want to take on mulies at some point in the near future. Looking forward to participating in the forum.

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Post by JDavid » Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm

Hello to all,
I have been around the forum off and on reading various topics. I enjoy the knowlegde everyone gives out. I thought I may be able to help so I joined the clan.

I am 27 from Utah born and rasied. I have been hunting since Ive been able to hold a tag. Im just getting into archery this year.(hopefully that works out for me) Im mostly familar with the northern Utah area if anyone needs any help or advice.
Is someone with 10 million dollars any happier than someone with 9 million?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed May 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks for joining and welcome to all the new folks, look forward to your posts. :thumb

Steep and Deep Bulls
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Steep and Deep Bulls » Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 am

Sorry! I posted under "Rifle Big Game" without posting here first, I didn't mean too I just didn't see the "Roll Call post until a day after. But I'm definitely not a "moocher", but always appreciate good info or help, and meeting new people to make great hunting friends! I just read HAWK'S post and I really love and enjoy this site and I want to post here, so.
I'm from Utah, and I'm 27 years old. I've been married for 6 years, and my wife and I have 1 (2) year old son. Like many of you, I have grown up Hunting and Fishing my entire life. My Dad taught us well to be good ethical hunters, to love and respect the outdoors, and some of the greatest memories and experiences in my life come from the hunting seasons and fishing experiences I've had with my Father and brothers. I'm simply just addicted! Ha! I love to be in the beautiful outdoors as much as I can, whether it's hunting or fishing or simply camping with my family. I mostly hunt, Muley's, Elk, and I like to Duck hunt. I put in every year for Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming. I focus a lot on the "smoke pole" season but I like to rifle hunt as well, my favorite caliber of choice is probably my 7mm Rem Mag. I guess that's me in a quick hunting nutshell. I'm excited to finally have registered and posted, and I plan to continue posting as much as I can. Thanks for letting me be a part of this great forum!

338ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 338ultra » Fri May 27, 2011 8:51 pm

I am a newbie from Waco, TX. I have cruised this site before checking it out, but have never signed up before, because honestly I didn't have anything useful to contribute or any information I needed, or so I thought. I am 31 years old and have hunted whitetails since I was 3 years old, turkeys since I was 13 and mule deer and elk once before in Idaho. My dad is a retired game warden here in Texas, so I have been around the outdoors and wildlife my whole life. Since I've been out of the house and on my own from college, my dad and I try to take a trip together every year. For about 5 years straight we would go to Alaska for the King Salmon run on the Kenai. That is a blast overtime we go. But we decided since my dad is getting older, that we had better get in some of the more strenuous hunts on our bucket list while he still has the ability. In 2009, we decided we would start mixing in a hunting trip every other year and go back to Alaska on an even numbered year. I started putting us in for points in Colorado, Utah and Arizona and putting in for the draw in New Mexico. In 2009 we put in for points in those states and bought over the counter tags to hunt with an outfitter in Idaho that came recommended from one of our good fishing guides in Alaska. It turned out to be a nightmare. From the time we set foot at the guides cabin to the time we left, the outfitter cussed every other word, treated the guides like dogs and didn't treat us much better. THe guides smoked in the trucks and on the trail while we were hunting and then if we moved from a spot in the truck the outfitter would cuss us all for wasting fuel. Despite all the odds being stacked against me, I did stumble across a 180" mule deer, but my guide stepped between me and the buck as I was about to squeeze the trigger. He never saw it. So that pretty much put a bad taste in our mouths for guided hunts. We have always been successful hunters in Texas, even though the mountains are a whole new territory, it brings on a welcomed challenge. Even as bad as the experience was, it still gave us a taste of that type of hunting and we have decided we wanted more. Now this year, my dad actually drew a tag for Utah in Meadowville Cache unit. But now I am starting to see that I might have screwed up and put him in for a unit that is mostly if not all public. So I'm asking for help. I would be more than happy to share any and all knowledge I have of Texas and Alaska and help out in anyway I can for the members on here. I do intend to stick around this website. I will probably become a pest for some of the questions I ask, but I will try to always be a giver of pertinent information as well as a taker.

Thanks,
Jason