is hunting a rich mans game?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
mossyoak24
Fawn
Fawn

is hunting a rich mans game?

Post by mossyoak24 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:55 pm

I have been reading and seeing alot of outfitters that post hunts from 1500 dollars to 20,000 dollars plus. With all this high tech equipment that is being sold in sportsman shops i have came to the conclusion that mabe hunting is a rich mans game. It seems that when you see these trophys that these people shoot you wonder how much they had to fork up to get that trophy, whatever happened to shooting a 4point deer and that was good enough or shooting a bull elk that was even a spike and being considered lucky to even see a elk. I was wondering if anyone else feels that this also is turning into a rich mans game!!

mossback300
Spike
Spike

Post by mossback300 » Thu May 03, 2007 2:23 pm

Yes thats the way hunting is starting to be, if ya have lots of money, then you get the leisure of paying the money and shooting a mossback, but if your like me you just have to sit back and watch the movies or pictures that people post.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 pm

If you have lots of this...($$) ($$)

Then you can have yourself some great hunts every year. If not you have to spend your life with them in the wild and hope to get lucky.

Yea it's turning or turned into a rich mans sport.

But I still enjoy my time in the hills chasing little fellas hoping for a big fella. :)

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu May 03, 2007 2:48 pm

I would have to agree. Even just a simple over-the-counter tag and license it's really starting to add up. For those folks that choose to hunt on a private ranch you're lookin' at guide service, travel, lodging, etc, etc, etc on top of normal fees and it can get REALLY pricey. Lastly, just putting in for draws, preference points, and such also drain the bank accounts!
Personally, I see no real reason to pay thousands of dollars for a "trophy" animal. "Trophy" is in the eye of the beholder as far as I am concerned anyway. Which is more rewarding...1) Doing your homework, hiking miles and miles while scouting, preparing for weather, tracking game, and making a great stalk and shot on an average 4x4 or 2) Hiring a guide that can put you right on top of the buck, not having to scout or prepare, or not having to do any homework outside of looking up phone numbers and booking a hunt and then bringing home a "trophy"?
Sincerely, no offence to anyone that pays the big money....it's your money and your choice and I respect that...but I'll take the first option (Maybe it's because I would have a hard time affording it but I would like to think that it's just because I would rather do the work myself).
Besides, like Brett mentioned, part of the joy is the dream of running into that "once in a lifetime" trophy some day when you least expect it.

cutbank
Fawn
Fawn

Post by cutbank » Thu May 03, 2007 3:20 pm

i would have to agree with hawk a diy hunt where i find the deer is 90% of the funand i get alot of satisfaction out of finding abig buck . my small bucks are still trophies in my eyes
born to hunt

300 wsm
Spike
Spike

Post by 300 wsm » Thu May 03, 2007 4:15 pm

Agchawk answered for me feel the sameway buy if i had the money id do it from russia to alaska though
ROCKY MOUNTAIN BOUND

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu May 03, 2007 4:36 pm

have to agree, it costs a bunch just to play the points game, but i try to do as much as i can. and i wont complain to much about the rich suckers who buy all these goveners tags and wop trophy animals every year, i do think if i ever hit that ol' lottery i would be the biggest duck in the puddle! but i would still want to do the hunts i enjoy doing now.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu May 03, 2007 4:40 pm

another point though, i was talking about this with some guys i know a few weeks ago and they were complaining about it getting so expensive and becoming a rich mans sport, but for them it's because gas was getting so expensive that they could hardly afford to drive the roads all year like they do and with all the beer it takes them on their hunt they just cant swing it anymore :>/ so in that aspect i dont mind it getting more expensive so maybe it will help weed out the dirtbags that think hunting is driveing roads, drinking beer, and shooting every little buck they come across. just my op.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu May 03, 2007 5:32 pm

LOL...Killer, good point. I forgot to mention the gas prices!!!!!

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Thu May 03, 2007 5:47 pm

the only way i would consider a guide is a oil hunt that i didnt know the area or have to time to scout it thats it like probably henrys bison i would get a guide and thats a bout it. i do think it is turning into a rich mans sport but i think you can get away cheapo too. you just dont get the premium hunts. which is ok becouse its about being out in the wooods with your best hunting buds having a good time, and just getting away.
the thing i pay the most for is gas getting to and from the hunting spots. i was driving 100 miles almost every day during the archery hunt. so yeah that adds up.