High Velvet

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Anonymous

High Velvet

Post by Anonymous » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:03 pm

BC....were you fortunate enough to get a glimpse of that big guy during the hunting season? Probably looked even better with a swollen neck eh?

BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:03 pm

The last time I saw this buck was mid-August. I never was able to locate him during the season which goes from Sept 10th-Dec10th. We had virtually no snow, so I assume he stayed in the heavy timber just below the timberline for the season probably even for the winter.
I filmed this same buck in 2000 as well. He was just a nice young 150 Class buck then. He put on a lot of growth in two years. I feel he is still very voung, probably only 5 this year. I'm really looking forward to seeing him this summer and see how much more he has grown.
"Trophy value is not always a measure of tine and beam. It may be just a measure of hard, solid hunting in which both man and deer conducted themselves well, so that neither was shamed." - John Madson, "Why Men Hunt"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow what a dandy!

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:51 am

My goodness that is a nice buck, I hope you find him again this summer also. He is beautiful with tons of potential.

BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:33 pm

Here's some more pictures of him. My guess is that he is between 33-34 inches outside and looks to be an 11X8, although in the velvet it is hard to tell if some of the small extras at his bases are an inch. My guess is that he should net right around the 200 inch mark. I was able to get within 20 yards of him bedded. When he finally noticed me and got up he stayed under 50 yards from me for over 20 minutes. It was an awesome experience to be that close to a buck of this caliber for so long.
"Trophy value is not always a measure of tine and beam. It may be just a measure of hard, solid hunting in which both man and deer conducted themselves well, so that neither was shamed." - John Madson, "Why Men Hunt"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:19 pm

Oh crap! I somehow deleted your 1st pictures of him? If you get a chance post them again will ya. Did he get any taller than he is in the pictures? It looks as though he still had more growth, at least in height? Or was he maxed out? Also, did you video him? Just wondering about the quality of the pictures seeing how you got so close to him. What kinda camera do you use. Anyway, thanks for the pics. Keep up the good work.

BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:54 pm

Here they are again. I've just got a beat up old Cannon 8mm Video Camera that is held together with crazy glue and duct tape. I recently just got a Dazzle Digital Video Creator so I can download my 8mm to the computer. The video itself is decent, but it is very shakey and there is a lot of times that it is auto focusing on tree brances instead of the buck.
The last time I saw this buck (mid August) I only saw him briefly through the spotter as he moved along the timberline. It was hard to tell if he had put on much more for growth. He was hanging out with 3 other real good typicals and I did see them several times when the non-typical wasn't around. I got some video of the one typical through the spotter but it is really rough. I can't really get a good jpg of it with the Dazzle. It is a 5X4 that has a solid 190 mainframe. I couldn't find any of these bucks once the hunt was on.

akw270

Post by akw270 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:58 pm

Thats what I call a "HOG"! Thanks for the accelerated heart rate! Hope you can keep getting him on film.