Opening Day Success Pic!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Opening Day Success Pic!

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:03 pm

Okay he isn't the biggest buck in the world, but he is a 4-point. This is a buck my dad took in Southern Utah on the Rifle Opener. He had made up his mind he would shoot a 4-point should the chance come. It came and he made a great shot. He had to make a spit second decision and only had time to see that it was a 4 point.

He did see one other 4-point that he said was a little bigger than this one, but only had one glimpse of him. He snuck in the bottom of a wash and got by us without seeing him again.

I've personally never heard so many shots opening day in my entire life. It sounded like World War III. There was simply hunters everywhere, but everyone was definitley in the middle of the heard, tons of shooting. So there was a lot of bucks taken and from all the shots probably a lot missed also. The deer were so scared and nervous they just ran over the next ridge to get shot by someone else. Crazy stuff!

We also had a close call (WAY TO CLOSE) of a bullet whizzing right at us and hitting the ground very close to us. I'm way unimpressed with idiots shooting shots in the direction of other hunters or shooting at deer topping over a skyline with that many people around. NUTS!!

My last observation is to ban ATV's during the hunt. Don't like them, can't stand them. To noisy, tears up the roads and hillsides, etc. I can see using them to maybe pack a deer out of a tough situation, but not much else. Just my thoughts.

I heard of several 4-points taken. Some 3x4's and saw a couple of smaller bucks taken.

I saw a spike and 2-point, that about it. Had a 4-point sneek by me but never saw him.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:05 pm

Let's keep this thread alive, I want to hear some stories of how everyone else did or see some pictures. Upload your story and photo, if you don't know how email them to be and I'll upload them for you. Good luck to everyone on the rest of their hunts.
brett@muleymadness.com

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:51 am

I'm with you on ATVs and especially road hunters. Way too much of both. Kinda spoils the whole idea of "getting away from it." Congrats on a nice buck for your dad.
Avery

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:41 pm

Wyomingtrophyhunter Pics!!

wyomingtrophyhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by wyomingtrophyhunter » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:07 pm

Hey-ho, all;

Just returned from the ole Honey-hole up by Thermop off the Big Horn. We had a great hunt and killed a couple of bomber bucks. The largest was a 5 x 5 typical (SCI 208) taken by one of my pards. I killed an extremely heavy 3 x 3 non-typical (SCI 165) (depicted in the above post) that had a few stickers on it (total 10 pt. like we count here in Ar-kin-saw). My other pard killed a young 4 with a basket rack.

No, none of these was the legendary "Louie-Grande" that we saw last year, although we did get a fleeting glimpse of him again this year. He still lives and his size is the proof of his savvy !! And yes, he is the largest deer on the planet !!

Nonetheless, we had a great trip with swell weather and excellent hunting. It was well worth the $800 in gasoline we used going out and back.

I agree about the ATVs; there were several guys in our area who constantly rode the two-tracks and trails, I suppose looking for deer. Too bad they have never experienced the thrill of a three mile stalk on the high desert. Yeah, we took a four wheeler and only unloaded it when we had to retrieve two of our three deer taken on extremely rough terrain. Otherwise, we even park the truck a long way from where we hunt.

Thanks, Brett, for posting the pictures for me. I shall try to have some more of the bigger buck if I can get hold of them. Congratulations on getting your dad on a nice muley.

Hope everyone out there had a good a hunt as we did. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Best regards,

wyomingtrophyhunter
"Make 'em leak"

Metz

Danthe2pointmuleyman
Spike
Spike

Post by Danthe2pointmuleyman » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:16 pm

Hello All,

Well first off i congradulate all of you on your bucks taken and that it is a great success to bag one. I had my shot at a 4 point opening morning but i missed two times an well my brother bagged it Sunday nite. He was with the same does and in the same spot as when i shot at him, it was kinda incredible. I will definately get some pics of him so all of you to see. I havent gotten anything else yet but of course im headin back up to try again thursday. Oh an the Elk hunt SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got skunked badly but oh well ya win some an ya lose some. Oh and with the Atv issue, I and always will DISAGREE with banning Atv's from the sport oh hunting..... there are many more things that stain the sport so lets not pin point it on Atv's. I am very strong about this issue and I will fight for it if I have to. Well I gotta get back so yall take care an awesome bucks.
Happy Trails

YoungBuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by YoungBuck » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:05 pm

With yesterday being the last day for rifles in Idaho I found this guy at about 5:00. He is a 3x4 with good mass. 25 1/2" wide 18" tall
You can sorta tell in the pic.....but not as good as you can in real life....but take a look at the body! It took my brother (6' 1") my dad (6' 1") and me (6' 0") all of our strength to get him hoisted up....and we also had about a half mile to drag his big arse! Talk about sore muscles!
YB

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:21 pm

YoungBuck,

Now that's what I'm talking about, thanks for the photo. Like you said a little tough in the picture, but sounds like a huge body. Great job on a good buck. A friend of mine took a 3-point today with a huge body and massive neck. I'll try and get a couple other photos soon.
Thanks to all and keep the pictures rollin!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:49 am

Way to go guys, good looking bucks. Days in the woods, especially with those we love, are the best! My two kids (10 & 8) went bowhunting with me on Sunday and it was awesome. Ended up arrowing a smaller buck (after my daughter REALLY wanted me to get it) with them both there. They loved it and had a great time! Thanks for posting.

BOHNTR )))--------------->

akw270

Post by akw270 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:02 am

Awesome bucks, and congrats to Youngbuck, and Wyomingtrophyhunter.
Sounds like we all had great fun! My neighbors just tagged a nice 3 point, he's not really tall or wide, but VERY heavy. I'll see if I can get a picture from them.