Favorite Hunting Video and Celeb!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Favorite Hunting Video and Celeb!

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:49 pm

had a question for all you mule deer fanatics like me, what is your favorite hunting video, or series and also who is your favorite video celeb, or commentator! (sp)

i have been a subscriber to Eastmans Journal for well over three years now and last week i decided to order some of mike eastmans mule deer videos. the first thing i must say is this, the service for eastmans is second to none. i ordered the videos on a thursday and had them by the following monday, outstanding!.

i personally have videos by eastmans crew, by steve alderman out of Idaho, david long ( magnum muley series).and some of doyle moss's videos on hunting elk and mulies. to be honest with you i don't think i could rate one better than the other two crews. all three of them have very different techniques and very different philosiphies on hunting trophy animals. there is something unique about each one. I like the eastmans crew becasue of all the useful information they give in there videos, rack bracketing, field judging, and useful area recommendations. plus, they are the most local folks to the jackson hole area, mike eastman hunting and growing up in this area. and as far as steve alderman and the lowland muley series, i love the fact that steve will take a good deer and somewhat show case it in the video. for example, in the lowland muleys volumn two he has a triple drop tine buck and he stays on this deer for a better part of the video. really gives the audience a chance to really see the measurements of this deer. and then david long with his magnum muley series, i love seeing wintering bucks and this crew has got some super bucks on the winter grounds, david too is a fellow wyomingite. i also like doyle moss because he has got some absolutely amazing animals in his videos, no one else showcases these many amazing animals in a single video, super!

Anyways, what is your opinion, which video or series of videos do you guys like best.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

Jackalope
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jackalope » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:12 pm

I Only have 2 muley video's Muley Magic and Muley Magic II. A guy i know dose some of the taping for them and even was the host on one of them. I liked them but just got board watching the samething over and over. they had some pretty impressive bucks in them. But latly after my wife broke down and let us get cable i've been watching alot of the hunting shows on OLN or the other outdoor chanel can't remember the name of it but. But it seem's they many focus on whitetails more then muleys.

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:54 pm

hey jackalope,
that is the main reason i quite watching the oln, amongst other reasons, i got tired of watching whitetail hunt after whitetail hunt. no offense to you whitetail hunters, it just doesn't appeal to me and so i can't stand watching it. every once in awhile i will watch primos, or hunting the country or christensen arms. other than that i won't watch the outdoor channel.

the only thing is though, what do you mean you get bored of watching a hunting video, between the 10-12 videos i have i absolutely could never get bored of watching them. :-k i understand though! watching the same thing over and over gets boring, but there is just nothing about hunting that bores me.

Jackalope
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jackalope » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:22 pm

I just get board watching the two i have over and over. i almost have them memorized. I need to get some more i guess. I also have a couple coyote video's. My favorite is Dogging Coyote's. I;m with you with allteh whitetail hunting show's. i think since i've got cable i've seen maybe 4 muley hunts but sometimes they do some elk stuff. Watch some feller shoot a freaking elephant with a bow the other night that was pretty cool.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:53 pm

Don't have a favorite commentator, and have obviously seen and have a ton of videos. No one has mentioned the Ryan Hatch "Muley Crazy" series yet. They are very good also.

I have seen tons of Monster Bucks on film, but still one of my favorite is on LowLand Mulies II by Steve A. The buck they call "Hattrick" that
WYMULEYMAN mentioned is still on the top of my list as one of the coolest looking bucks on film and trust me I've seen a lot. :)

YoungBuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by YoungBuck » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:18 am

I would say the muley crazy series has this one hands down in my book. If you look at all the eastmans videos and shows on tv....it is the same thing over and over.....you would think after so long the guy would get tired of repeating himself!
Ryan busts his rump every year to find the biggest bucks running around....and does an outstanding job of doing it!
Aldermans videos are pretty good for the guys first attempt (I think his first) To find big bucks like that in Idaho nowadays is really a challange and he stepped up to it and kicked butt...especially with Hat Trick.
I have one of Brownlees videos as well...he did a good job and I enjoyed the footage of the monsters he was able to film.
I like the Mossback Mulies films...but it seems to me like he is into the money more than the deer and elk....but they still are great to watch.
Buy the muley crazy series if you havent seen them.....you wont be dissapointed one bit!
just my two cents
YB

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Local So. Utah Prejudice

Post by shedhunter » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:01 pm

I think it may be like pride in your kids type thing, but I'd say Ryan Hatch's series of Muley Crazy videos is top of the line! Excellent format and bucks that are UNREAL! These boys just dont show the good 180 class bucks that other videographers do, thier the real deal showing bucks that top the 200" mark and always kill record book class bucks. Their magizine is not as unbelievable as the videos, but then again, it is, in my opinion the best mule deer publication out there! If you want to see real guys out really hunting get ahold of 4 or 5. They are both great videos and I can't wait to see the 290 calss buck on the next video or issue of Muley Crazy!
~shedhunter~

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:21 pm

seems like the general concensus says i might have to try out these muley crazy series. two or three people have commented about the quality of there videos. youngbuck, i honestly have to agree with you in that mike eastman tends to repeat himself time and time again, however, the quality of his work is amazing to me. he shows you respectable deer and 9 out of 10 times it will be 100% fair chase public land. he keeps his show down to earth, how many of us are ever going to get to see a 200" deer, don't get me wrong, i love seeing these type of deer on the videos but most of us will never see a deer that big. alot of my intention on watching these hunting videos is to gain respect, knowledge, and tips on hunting these amazing animals and i feel like mike eastmans videos provide just that.

the most annoying thing to me in the hunting world is when you are talking to a person about the animals these guys are seeing in there day long outings in the country, man this deer or this elk was 200" or 400" you should have seen him, and i think to myself, i spend as much time in the country as possible, probably close to 20 hours a week, min. and i have seen maybe two deer that would gross over 200" and one bull elk that would go close to 400", and i live in jackson hole wyoming. where some of the best genetics for elk have ever been recorded. they have been transplanting the jackson herd across the states since the turn of the century and i have yet to see one of those 400" bulls these people seem to see every time they go to the country. my point is this, maybe if some more of these videos had a educational purpose in mind instead of just showing these world class animals, not that that is a bad thing, these people would actually learn something and figure out how stupid they sound when they talk about a 200" deer that is probably more around 160-170". that is what i like about the eastmans videos, sure it gets boring listening to him talk about rack bracketing and field judging time and time again, but they have purpose and give the every day joe a chance to learn something from these videos. i have learned very well how to judge a deer in the field, under low light conditios, in a short amount of time, and accurately withing a couple inches. and i have learned it from watching videos like the eastmans series.

bottom line, i agree with you about the repeatitiveness of the eastmans, but they are good videos none the less.

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Muley Crazy side note

Post by shedhunter » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:39 pm

I want to add to my post earlier.

The attitudes of the Crazy crew deter a lot of viewers. I say at times these videos may offend some people, but it goes to show how people really are. These boys have fun, and you can tell. Its not your serious snooty guided video crew and hunter, its the guide videoing the hunter. I think that shows/videos that depict hunters (or the makers of the video as the hunter) shooting a buck they were guided to is dumb. The "expert" hunter on screen commenatating is really the "unknowledgable" hunter and the guide is the expert, if you will. Hatch and these guys made a product of their own success, not a product of someone elses guiding skills. Dibs go out to the guides that take time to video their clients hunts and that have something to show for it! Fair warning: the Muley Crazy crew comes off rough, but if your like me they'll grow on you, only by understanding that they too are fanatic about HUGE mule deer!
~shedhunter~

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:58 pm

Well, I like the Muley Crazy series as well and Ryan states it like it is. However, my personal favorite hunting tapes are ones with Larry D. Jones and Dwight Schuh, Wilderness Sound Productions. "How to Hunt Mule Deer in Open Country" is one of the most watched hunting tapes around for archery hunters. "Buck Fever" and Elk Fever I & II" aren't too shaby either.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer