My 2007 CO Buck (pics)

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
BOHNTR

My 2007 CO Buck (pics)

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Well, I finally made it back from the Colorado high country after being in the wilderness for eleven days. I can’t believe how good food tastes that you don’t have to add water to. What a hunt! I’ve never been sheep hunting, but this timberline backpacking mule deer archery hunt above 12,000 feet must be comparable......physically. I’m down to 155 pounds!

I saw several huge bucks, including a 195-200” net typical I crawled up to 21 yards of while he was napping…just couldn’t shoot him in his bed (darn limb). Well, after casually checking his right flank (after I waited for 20 minutes for him to get up), he must have thought that ugly looking bush (me) wasn’t there two hours earlier.....so he changed his address immediately....leaving me sitting there about ready to cry. Oh well, bowhunting isn’t supposed to be easy.

After several close encounters throughout the week, I decided with two days left to try and arrow a buck I passed on 5 days earlier. We nicknamed him “Crab” because his crab front forks....but he had a lot of mass and good backs. He was also fairly wide with a classic basket rack that the G2’s curved inward.

I spotted “Crab” bedded on the side of an open bowl with five other bucks. It was going to be a difficult stalk in the steep wide open, but I’d been able to do it several times throughout the week.....maybe this time a limb or the wind will cooperate.

I ended up getting into good bow range and put an arrow through him. He piled up about 120 yards away....AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CANYON!!!!! The buck died at about 11,300’.....bad thing was, I had to pack him over a saddle of 12,400’ to get back to camp two miles away...talk about a long night.

The buck was a bit bigger than I thought when I got to him. He gross scores in the mid 170's and will net in the mid 160’s...this is with only an 18 4/8” main beam on his right side. His outside spread is right at 27”. Not the monster I had earlier in the week, but a good P&Y class buck that I physically worked pretty darn hard at. Hope you enjoy.

My Buck:

Me packing out the boned out meat, cape, and antlers...notice the high country haircut (shaved head):

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:50 pm

awsome buck there! to bad about the monster, thats why we keep going back isnt it?

thanks for sharing

9er

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:15 pm

awesome buck to bad about that dang limb in the way

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:48 pm

Very nice buck. Awsome looking place to hunt as well.
Congrats.

Do you mind posting the equipment that you use.
Deadi

treetop
Spike
Spike

Post by treetop » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Welcome back, I have been waiting for the pictures and the story to go with them.
And you've come through again.
It might not be the big one but the one you took is no slouch either. Congrads on another good hunt.
Don't you just love the high country. I was out scouting last week at 11,200 feet and saw more Mt. Goats than I did deer.
Treetop

Ron G.
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Ron G. » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:50 pm

Awesome job BOHNTR! Great deer and great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Torch
3 point
3 point

Post by Torch » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Congrats on a fine mountain muley! Any buck taken with a bow is a trophy. A hard earned 170 class buck is a great accomplishment with any weapon, but to take bucks year after year like you do with a bow is amazing. You guys must really get after it. Thanks for sharing the pics and story. =D>

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:01 pm

Awesome looking deer congrats BOHNTR. :thumb :thumb

BIGBUCKCRAZY
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGBUCKCRAZY » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:05 pm

real nice deer BOHNTR!! The hard work dosen't always pay off but when it does WOW what a thrill huh? What part of CO. were ya?
What have ya got if ya haven't got a story?

loco4muleys
3 point
3 point

Post by loco4muleys » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Sounds like a great hunt and a dandy buck, too!! This is my first hunting season as a member of the forums here, but it sounds like you generally take a nice buck home. Congratulations!!!
One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.