Now what do I do?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Now what do I do?

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:26 pm

I got my antelope and he was good enough to have mounted. I'm generally not a trophy hunter but I was hoping for something better than average on my muley hunt this year. Problem is, I can't afford to have it mounted what with my antelope and all. My backyard is a bucks only unit, so either I hunt further from home, so I can take a doe, or I shoot a mediocre buck that could have grown up to something respectable? Working a full time job, plus owning a seperate business that is just too busy as is, time is way too short you know?

As if I didn't have enough to worry about, things like this come along grrrr!
Stupidity is expensive

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:43 pm

just shoot a huge buck and sell something on ebay to pay for the taxidermy. Worry about it when you get there. You may not even see a big enough buck to shoot. If you don't it looks like you will still have some freezer meat from the goat.

Just my $.02.

GPWDeer
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!

lifetime hunter
3 point
3 point

Post by lifetime hunter » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:12 pm

Congrats on the lope!

but if ya do get a big ol' deer... I would recommend taking it to the taxidermist and have them cape it out for ya and pay to get the cape tanned... then when ya get the money for the mount... you will have the original cape to go on your deer!

or most taxidermist only require a deposit on your deer..and most won't have it done for 9-12 months...so maybe by then you will have the rest of the money to pay for the deer mount...
Welcome to Utah................Now GO HOME!

loco4muleys
3 point
3 point

Post by loco4muleys » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:28 pm

Don't worry about the taxidermy. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Like lifetime hunter said, you can always tan it and have it done later. If you see a toad, shoot him!!
One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:40 pm

If you get and BIG one and don't have it mounted, you'll regret it maybe. Be frugal somehow and save some pennies. :)

callofthewild
2 point
2 point

Post by callofthewild » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:30 pm

first things first you need to kill the big ole muley buck. not as easy as it sounds. but if you are able to kill a big one take lifetime hunters advise.

lifetime hunter
3 point
3 point

Post by lifetime hunter » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:41 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:If you get and BIG one and don't have it mounted, you'll regret it maybe. Be frugal somehow and save some pennies. :)
Very True!! I shot a big one when I was 18 and didn't have enough money to mount it... and regreted it!... so I ended up getting him mounted a few years ago and had to buy a cape and it just looks funny to me! looks like a doe (???) very very small neck! that's why I recommend if nothing else get the cape tanned! so you don't have to buy a new one that looks funny! :nono:

Good luck and let us know how your hunt goes!
Welcome to Utah................Now GO HOME!

treetop
Spike
Spike

Post by treetop » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:39 pm

Good advice.
I shot a 180 4X4 back when I was first married and didn't have the $ to get it mounted. My buds told me to get it done and if they had to they would pay for the mounting.
I took it in and 9 months later it was done. And I had come up with the cash.
It's a good thing too, because I have never shot anything even close, bow or gun.
So go shoot a MONSTER and take it in. It'll all work out.
Treetop

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Ditto to everything that has been said, however if you really dont have the money to even have the cape tanned then make sure to take good measurements so that in a year or so when you have sufficiently kicked yourself for not having it done, you can make sure your taxidermist gets a cape that will look most like your deer. Nothing looks more out of place than a nice big rack and a tiny little neck. To be most realistic you need your own cape, but with the right measurements, the right cape, and a good taxidermist nobody will know the difference.

I know what it's like to not have money for the taxidermist, but I also know what it's like to eat pb&j sandwiches for a few months to help save the money. Trust me it's worth it. You will never regret having it mounted, but I guarantee you will regret not having it mounted.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:20 am

shoot the big buck and have it europen mounted. it's cheep and you could do it at home. no need to sell it on ebay.
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne