first time mule deer hunting, lots of questions

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
horse sense
Fawn
Fawn

first time mule deer hunting, lots of questions

Post by horse sense » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:12 pm

I am hunting with a friends family near Glasgow, Mt Nov 2-10 for mule deer. This will be my first attempt at anything other than white tails and I am very excited. I have been practicing out to 350 yards, walking 3 miles a day and pouring over photos of mulies. Does anyone know anything about this general area? and any other helpfull hints would be appreciated.

thank you. this is a great site.

horse sense

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:44 pm

Don't know anything on the area of question. But welcome to muleymadness.
Deadi

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Welcome to MuleyMadness, horse! I'm not too familiar with hunting in that area but there are a number of folks here at MM that hunt Montana. Hopefully one of them will be able to help you out.

Keep us posted and take a lot of pics to share afterward!

GOOD LUCK.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Sorry i dont know nothing about this area but good luck do alot of spot and stalk let your eyes do the walking until you really need to

horse sense
Fawn
Fawn

Post by horse sense » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:53 pm

Thanks for the input. I have about a month before we leave and am still collecting stuff (binos, range finder, wind clothes already taken care of) what about he wind in your eyes, do you wear sun glasses? if so what about glare and reflecion of the lens. What do you think about the Burris 12x24 spotting scope. I have a burris rifle scope now and the optics are pretty good, so I was thinking about getting this spotter to go along. Also, what about bipods or tripods. I know they are bulky, but out to 300 yards I can be most accurate shoointg prone. I realize I may not be able to shoot in a prone position if the buck is uphill so any help would be most appreciated.

horse sense

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:20 pm

horse sense, Welcome to MM. Have you got the Block Management information?

horse sense
Fawn
Fawn

Post by horse sense » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm not sure what block managment is. the hunting district is 670 i believe. Is that the same thing? I have seen lots of public and landowner "open" land in the area we are going (north of Glasgow and west of the Indian reservation), but I am not sure about block management. I'm open to new information.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:21 pm

horse sense

Don't know the area either, WELCOME and best of LUCK!!

As far as my BIPOD, I LOVE IT. Bit heavy yes, but I never take it off hunting and have had great success with it.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:09 pm

There is a big BLUE TONGUE outbreak up in that region killing off the deer and antelope,check before you go and find out the effected areas and plan around that.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:39 pm

NONYA wrote:There is a big BLUE TONGUE outbreak up in that region killing off the deer and antelope,check before you go and find out the effected areas and plan around that.
alright nonya--- what the ^%$#@ is a " blue tongue" outbreak???? :)) seriously i've never even heard of it :dumb