Nevada Unit!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuzzyBuck
Fawn
Fawn

Nevada Unit!

Post by MuzzyBuck » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:10 am

I was just curious if anyone has any information about unit 062 in Nevada or any of the Northeast units. I am just curious about it as far as Mule Deer are concerned. Has anyone ever been there or heard good things about the hunting out there. I would like to apply for a Non-resident tag next year and the Northeast portion of Nevada is just one of the places that I am researching trying to get some more info on. Anyway any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:41 pm

The area has been hit hard by fires over the last 2 years. Essentially, the winter range is gone. The problem is the deer don't know that until they migrate in. Once there they have to migrate out in search of forage. A lot don't make it.

The area was just starting to recover from several years of various problems. I'm afraid that the fires over the last 2 years have dealt the death blow for what was once a prime mule deer area. It may eventually recover, but it will be several years. The same information I have mentioned can probably still be found on http://www.ndow.org.

My advice is to look elsewhere. Most of area 6 and area 7 are not worth your time.
Hoyt

MuzzyBuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MuzzyBuck » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:10 am

Marc,
Thanks for the great info. I appreciate the response. I will do just that keep researching and looking. Those freakin wildlfires! That's too bad! Did it used to be a so called "Trophy Area" I just mean did great bucks used to come out of there. I just thought there may have been guides that used to go in there taking clients? Also is there a such a unit in Nevada called 06 unit? I looked all over there website and on there map and I could not find this unit? Do you or does anyone know by chance where this is?

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:55 am

Area 6 (unit 6) encompasses all of the 06X units. It starts with 061. There is no 06 as far as I know.

You asked specifically about 062 so that's the area I was refferring to. Yes, it was at one time a trophy area. But that was well over 20 years ago. Fire, drought and poor management of the area led to its decline.

I'll spend some time looking at a map and maybe point you in another direction in area 6. Give me a few days.
Hoyt