Utah Rifle Opener??

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Utah Rifle Opener??

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:01 pm

Okay DEADI gets props for being first and successful with his buddy. How did everyone else do? I know there was more peoples out in the hills...so how did it go everyone?

We had 4 tags in our group and tagged out on 2 out of the 4...pics to follow soon.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:26 pm

It's amazing what two weeks can make. We hunted up high where I had seen all thoughs bucks on the muzzy hunt but this time there was about 12-18" of snow up there and we did not even see a single deer . Not even any old tracks in the snow. (???)
There's always next year

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:40 pm

I also hunted high, saw one elk was it!

jumped 5 does down low, and that was all the deer i seen!

im done with rifle for the year i believe!

9er

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Okay here is the first one to share...this is my older brother Craig Wilson with his 2007 Rifle buck!

Forgive me on the picture quality, I know it's not great or 'in field'...I was helping my cousin pack out a deer when he shot it in another canyon by himself...by the time he and others went to help him get it out, darkness was upon us.

So this picture was taken at about midnight back in St. George after the 2 hour drive home.

He was happy with the buck and excited to show his 4 kids/son the next day!

He is a small 4-point and put a great sneak on him and a running shot.

He drove from 5+ hours up north to hunt with his family down south and with limited time to hunt decided to take him.

Plus I think he wanted to redeem himself after missing a BIG one earlier in the day. :)

Thanks for the good times as always CRAIG...your a blast to hunt with...he likes to get after it and hike like I do!

Story of my cousins buck to follow, it was pretty cool and lots of fun also!!
Attachments
craig_buck.jpg
craig_buck.jpg (81.47 KiB) Viewed 4454 times

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:50 pm

One more pic of my brothers buck! I breaking my new truck in real quick this year...it seems to like Mule Deer hunting! :)
Attachments
craig_truck.jpg
craig_truck.jpg (84.98 KiB) Viewed 4448 times

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:17 pm

CONGRATS to your brother, Brett!!

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:34 pm

Nice buck Brett. Congrats to your brother.

My Dad was able to connect with a 3x3 on Sunday morning. Due to two cancer surgeries and being in the middle of his radiation treatments he was limited to shooting with a borrowed .357 mag pistol and his 9mm carry pistol. He took this buck with one shot to the lungs with the .357 at only 7 yards. :222

My tag on the other hand is still uncut. I find it interesting that 9er and ridgetop didn't find anything up high. We went up high opening morning and saw probably 50 or so deer, 5 being bucks, 2 of those I should have looked at a little closer because looking back i think they were bigger than I thought at the time.

Sunday after my dad got his deer right at legal light, we decided to hunt down low in the cedars, we walked all day and never saw a deer. Saw very few tracks until we got close to the edge of the hay fields.

So, today we were back up at about 8500ft and saw probably 60-70 deer and 6 of those were smaller bucks (3 point or smaller).

Tomorrow we'll be back up high and hopefully we can see something worth puting a bullet in the chamber for. We're really limited with time because my dad has to be back at the house by 1:00 so he can make the 2 hour (each way) trip to Salt Lake for his radiation treatments. Also we are pretty confined to being close to the road since his energy level depleats quickly.

I'm so used to shooting the first legal buck i see, that seeing all these smaller bucks is really wearing at my integrity to hold out for a big one. But I'll hold out for a few more days and then the little ones will start to get a little more time in my binoculars. I hate to shoot a young buck, but just the thought of eating tag soup gives me heartburn.

Well, that's the deer hunting report from this side of the mountain.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:38 pm

79Ford

Thanks for the report and glad your Dad was successful, after last years buck you better hold out a bit longer. :)

Tough to top that one.
Last edited by MuleyMadness on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:44 pm

Yeah, havent seen anything close to that this year Brett. This weather has the deer moving around up here like crazy, and they could be anywhere. Too early in the season to settle for a small buck just yet.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:12 pm

congrats to your dad 79ford. i swear that ive seen him before. he looks way familiar
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.