Colorado mule deer

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Colorado mule deer

Post by shedhunter » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:04 pm

Just wondering, where in Colorado would you put in for and why? The year before last my brother and his friend drew 62 tags and shot some pretty nice deer (no points here either). I would like to draw a tag, not nothing real hard to draw, but one I still have a chance at a good buck. I bow hunt a lot and havent checked much into their archery stuff, but if there was an archery hunt later in the year (not August or September) that would be the one for me! I would have to say Colorado is one of the top states in the west for mule deer, possibly even the best! I am still going to do a little research myself, but any imput would be greatly appreciated!
~shedhunter~

ABert

Post by ABert » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:07 pm

Don't know if you realize but Colo is draw only for mule deer for the entire state. I'm not sure how tough some units are compared to others to draw in, but we always put in for 681 or 47. Great areas for muleys both with fantastic draw systems. I've gotten two nice bucks out of each the past couple of years. I was hunting third season rifle so really can't help you out on the archery side. The regs just came out for 2005 and you can read up on them online. Hope this helps some.

sheephunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sheephunter » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:18 pm

shedhunter,
I think that the only units here in CO that have archery hunts later than August/September are the eastern units, most of which have problems with access (i.e. mostly private land in these units). If you get a brochure you will see some units with an asterisk by them; that means they were undersubscribed and there were tags available after the draw. I've tried archery hunting timberline mulies a couple times without success, but it's a great time to be in the mountains. I would recommend getting a brochure and at least applying for a preference point, then get a letter from DOW outlining leftover licenses available. Even if you opt not to go, getting a point puts you a little ahead of the game next year.

shedhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by shedhunter » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:33 pm

Now if I am reading right, you dont use points if you draw your second choice? So if I put in for points, or a given no-draw unit as first choice, then a easier unit to draw as second, if I draw on the second, I still build points right? Question, I know that here in Utah drawing a second choice tag is compairable to winning the lottery, is it tough to get a second choice in Colorado?
~shedhunter~

sheephunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sheephunter » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:16 am

Right, 2nd choice does not use or generate preference points. So you can apply for a point and then put down for an undersubscribed unit and get a tag. So you'll get your preference point and still get a tag. It's a pretty sweet deal if you get it figured out, but be careful as I've heard of guys trying to get cute with the applications and ended up with a tag they didn't really want.

FeRangerXXXV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by FeRangerXXXV » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:21 pm

Well picking a single zone in Colorado is not easy. I have been hunting 11, 22, 23 and 24 the last few years with a rifle. I see my share on nice bucks, but I have seen even more on private land.

There is a good herd down toward Montose. Either way your looking at sage, pinon and juiper hunting. Could be fun with a bow.......

Your correct in you guess on doing the double draw thing. I have been trying on PP and Tags for years. You really have to picking an undersub zone.

Good Luck