Sportsman's Deer Tag - Utah

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Ready
Spike
Spike

Sportsman's Deer Tag - Utah

Post by Ready » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:14 pm

I can't believe my luck in the draw this year. I drew the deer tag for 2008! :tz

My family and I are wwaaaayyyyy excited for this next fall. We have already made some scouting trips to the Henrys and other areas since I found out in early December about my good fortune. We have seen some nice bucks so far, but I wish I could've been looking when the rut was on a little stronger.

My husband and I are still planning quite a few more trips to just learn areas where the deer congregate for the winter. Does anyone have any good ideas on where we should be looking in the next few weeks before all the bucks have shed their antlers?

Ready
Spike
Spike

Re: Sportsman's Deer Tag - Utah

Post by Ready » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:17 pm

PM's are welcome if you don't want to post for everyone. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ready.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:52 pm

i'm not from utah, but i know what kind of tag you have. super congrats on one of the greatest draw outs possible :not-worthy :not-worthy i cant wait to see the buck that you get to harvest! hope you have time to keep us updated on what your seeing. again congrats!

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:03 pm

If I were you I would move to the Henry's on July 1st and not leave until the big buck was on the ground! Most of the winter range bucks will be in completely different areas during summer & fall. Unless of course you were planning on waiting until the hunts are over next year to take your buck.

Congratulations on what is arguably the best deer tag in the world!

mossbak
2 point
2 point

Post by mossbak » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:07 am

xcrossx did you buy a loto ticket
"A Friend Will Stick Closer Then a Brother"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:13 am

One lucky girl right there, actually not sure but has there been another female draw this tag before?

Pretty cool, best of luck!

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:54 pm

I cant help on where they winter but i know where they where last Aug-Sept if that will help you i could tell you where we seen them then And congrats on the tag of a lifetime
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

cowslayer
Spike
Spike

Post by cowslayer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:07 pm

I think you are on the right track! I would keep an eye on the Paunsagaunt and Henry's this summer. They have received some great moisture and the antler growth should be phenomenal. Sounds like the paunsagaunt got quite a few good snow storms up high and that they will winter well on the Strip.

Keep us posted and we will keep an eye out for you. What type of buck are you looking for? Non-Typical or Typical?

No pressure ;-) and have fun.

CS
http://www.VIPoptics.com
"When you deserve the Very Best!"

Heads or Tails
2 point
2 point

Post by Heads or Tails » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 pm

There are plenty of great ares and deer!! Don't get caught on just getting one durng the rut, don't be afraid to fin him early.

Scout, Scout, Scout!

Good Luck!!
Heads or Tails Hunting Co.

Ready
Spike
Spike

Post by Ready » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:36 pm

Well, it looks like we might be done scouting until this summer. We made several trips to the Henrys and a few trips to other units. We found several nice bucks every trip. There was one real heavy old buck on the henrys that I liked and another one on the Oak Creek unit.

This winter has already seemed to drag on forever. We just can't wait until next summer/fall to start looking for Mr. BIG! I want to thank everyone who has replied so far, I really appreciate the ideas and help. I will be sure to keep you posted on how it is going, but it looks like it is going to be a long 6-7 months before we get too serious about it.

Thanks again