Any "Dedicated Hunters" out there?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
loco4muleys
3 point
3 point

Any "Dedicated Hunters" out there?

Post by loco4muleys » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:15 am

I was reading today about Utah's "Dedicated Hunter" program. I just skimmed the info but it looks like a steal of a deal if you're a resident. 150 bucks, an online course, a couple days of volunteer conservation work and you've got a deer tag for anywhere in the state locked up for three years!! Did I read it wrong or is this really how it works? Any of you Utahians do this?
One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: Any "Dedicated Hunters" out there?

Post by ridgetop » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:17 am

Your're correct. You even get to hunt all three seasons and archery hunt state wide and each year after you turn your unused tag, they put you in for a special draw for about 20 different LE buck and bull tags. Great deal! I'm glad I resigned up this year.
There's always next year

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Loco
The only spin to this is you can only harvest 2 muleys in three years ether with a bow <--------) , muzzy, :333 or rifle :222 . It is a first come first serve with a cap of 10,000 and this year they meet that number. This is my third year and I was successful my first two years. So I called the DRW and opted out of my third year, which now I can go buy an over the counter archery tag and still hunt, but not all three hunts as a dedicated hunter dose. Next year I will be back in line to sign up for another three. =D>
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

oakbrush
2 point
2 point

Post by oakbrush » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:45 pm

it is a good deal. This will be my 8th year in the program. I will probably do it as long as the program stays in place.

oakbrush

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Buckmaster, how do you opt out of your third year and still hunt on your third year. You signed a contract that says you will only shoot two deer in three seasons. That sounds a little like cheating.
There's always next year

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Ridgetop: This is what I was told...... Because I have harvested my two deer my first two years leaving a third year open for nothing. With all my credits(hours) were taken care of my first year, I had my RAC meeting behind me. So here I sat thinking I could not deer hunt this year (08) Then at the Western outdoor show I was talking with some of the DWR boys and they said I could opt out and pay for an archery deer tag and hunt. I then called the DWR to confirm what I was told and again I was told the same thing. The DWR dose not keep a spot open for you after your third year, it is a first come first serve to sign up again for everyone.
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Cool beans, hope it spreads to Colo so I can slim down our 75/1 doe /buck ratio.

Venison...it's what's for dinner. :thumb
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

loco4muleys
3 point
3 point

Post by loco4muleys » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:05 pm

Sounds pretty cool, guys. Is there any restrictions to where you can hunt? 10,000 people hunting the Book Cliffs doesn't sound like too good of an idea. How does that work?
One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:54 pm

You have to pick your region of choice and there is a cap in place for each region and you cannot hunt on LE's. If you do draw a LE tag, then you forfeit your dedicated hunter tag for the year. Buckmaster, I hope you realize, I'm not trying to start something but was just thinking hypothetically. If each person were to shoot 2 deer then opt out of the program and then shoot a third deer on the general season permit on that third year and then the person that filled in for your opted out tag shot a deer on their first year, that would be 4 deer killed in 3 years on your original dedicated hunter tag. It just seems like defeating the purpose of preserving the bucks, when twice as many could be killed than origanally thought. Just some food for thought.
There's always next year

Torch
3 point
3 point

Post by Torch » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:55 pm

I have been a member since it started and I also think it's a great program.

Like others have stated, you can only shoot two deer in the three year program. After you have enrolled in the program you are required to complete a conservation course, 24 hours on approved service projects, and you have to attend a Regional Advisory Council meeting.

In return, you are able to choose the region you want to hunt during the general deer seasons with a guaranteed tag and you are also able to hunt all three seasons.(archery, muzzleloader,rifle) You are then required to mail your permit back to the DWR after the general deer seasons have ended if you didn't harvest a deer so they can keep track of how many deer you have harvested within the three year period. If you don't send your permit in by the deadline, a deer harvest will be counted. That's a simple explanation of the program.