Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
creepingdeath
Fawn
Fawn

Northern Utah mulies

Post by creepingdeath » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Hey ya'll,
I might get a chance to hunt deer in N.Utah!! It's still up in the air. I was born there and return very little but dream of hunting mulies in my birth state. My friend hunts there every other year or so with some family that lives there. He asked if I would like to go if he goes this year.

First I think it's in the Grouse Creek area. I think? It's public land. I'm sure..?..

Can anyone please tell me what the dates are for modern firearm season. What unit is this called?? What can a guy expect as far as an averge good buck? I know every unit puts out a total monster every year. But if I did try and hold out for a big buck and everything was just right could a guy score on a 160 class buck.

It'll be my first trip if we go this year. But him and his Brothers and other members of the family know this area well.

What is the terrian like???????????

Anyway thanks for any advice or answers to my questions.

Fletcher
"Thou shalt hunt where there are Trophy Mule Deer or forever be plagued by mediocrity".

Twitch
Spike
Spike

Re: Northern Utah mulies

Post by Twitch » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:26 pm

creepingdeath wrote:Hey ya'll,
I might get a chance to hunt deer in N.Utah!! It's still up in the air. I was born there and return very little but dream of hunting mulies in my birth state. My friend hunts there every other year or so with some family that lives there. He asked if I would like to go if he goes this year.

First I think it's in the Grouse Creek area. I think? It's public land. I'm sure..?..

Can anyone please tell me what the dates are for modern firearm season. What unit is this called?? What can a guy expect as far as an averge good buck? I know every unit puts out a total monster every year. But if I did try and hold out for a big buck and everything was just right could a guy score on a 160 class buck.

It'll be my first trip if we go this year. But him and his Brothers and other members of the family know this area well.

Fletcher
I haven't out to Grouse Creek for about 5 years, but here is what I know.

Region: Northern
Dates: Oct 18-26th

Grouse Creek has a TON of hunters every year, so be ready for some competition. lol

500mag
2 point
2 point

Post by 500mag » Fri May 02, 2008 1:00 pm

lots of doe wint a few years back with my brother inlaw he loves it out there seen a few ok ones taken and a few small ones but there is some big ones somewhere
One day I will find the BIG ONE!!

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun May 04, 2008 2:51 pm

I heard the North got hammered this year with winter kill. I hope I draw my Nevada tag, so I don't have to worry about it.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun May 04, 2008 9:42 pm

The winter kill only happened in a few areas.
There's always next year

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Mon May 05, 2008 11:12 am

creepingdeath wrote:Hey ya'll,

Fletcher
Fletcher
First of all what do you hunt rifle, muzzy or archery? Second I live close to that area and although you might see a 160 class buck there once in a while I would defiantly not come from out of state hunting this area. It is over hunted and you are luck to get 100 yards to your self to hunt once the poor deer survive the gauntlet they make it to private ground and hold up till winter. Save your money if you are heading that way, if you would still like to hunt Northern Utah, I will give you and a good ideas of hunting areas that someone that is not afraid to do some hiking might see a few 160 class bucks but its not for the road hunters. If you are looking for Archery I might even take you myself.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

bucketmouth
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bucketmouth » Mon May 05, 2008 12:54 pm

I was offerd a chance to hunt a 36,000 acre ranch out of Grouse Creek. There are only 22 landowner tags for the ranch. My buddy who turned me on to it shoots nice deer every year. Last year he got a 28" 4x4. So hopefully the $1500.00 I'm going to spend is worth it. I assume this much private land would keep the crouds away. The guy that runs the ranch said I should have no problem seeing 10 bucks a day, but the bucks are usually 18"-24" wide.
Let me know if any of you know something different.

Thanks, Jerry

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 pm

Jerry,
Like I said in my last email once the shooting gets started they head for the private ranches. so you should have some good success. I would do my homewok though. brian
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.