My Idaho hunt is complete!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

My Idaho hunt is complete!

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:57 pm

Well all, after two hard days of hunting, my tag is filled. He is not the bruiser I was lookin' for it but I can assure you, it was not from lack of trying....FYI: I am VERY happy with this buck and he will eat VERY WELL!
Here's the story:

My leave started the day before the hunt and I spent all night the night before getting my gear together, checking my list two and three times, and constantly checking to make sure I had my tag with me...LOL.
About midday on Thursday my brother and I headed for the river breaks to set up camp and do a little lookin' around. We arrived at our desired spot around 2 in the afternoon, quickly set up camp, and started some evening scouting. Almost immediately I found a 4 point shed and then about 50 yards further up the first draw we spotted a nice 3 point Muley feeding. Since it was already late and also since we started seeing good sign almost immediately we decided to back out, get some coffee brewing, and hit the tent early in preps for the morning.
Arising at 0500 in the morning, we had a quick cup of coffee, grabbed our gear, and headed into the higher hills after my buck. Our trip took a quick detour as we spotted a great lookin' 6X6 bull elk and around 20 cows in a draw above us. We sat down and enjoyed the site through the spotting scope for about 1/2 hour before heading out again.
Almost immediately we started seeing deer. In the first draw we bumped 6 doe and one small forky and watched them bound over the next ridge before moving on. Throughout the morning we saw numerous 2 and 3 points along with countless does and fawns but nothing worth taking down on the first day.
Around noon we decided to take a break and catch a few Zs (Old age is really catching up!). We caught a quick hours nap and then headed out for more draws further down river. About 2 hours before sundown we jumped the biggest buck of the trip but unfortunately he was up and over the top of the mountain before I could zero in on him. After giggling about it like a couple school kids we continued on our way, slowly decreasing in elevation toward our camp. The last buck we saw that first day was sitting on an open hillside about a mile from camp. Although he was a very nice 4x4 we decided to let him pass and would check that area again tomorrow.
The next morning we got up a bit earlier, made some coffee, and discussed what we would do. Since my brother had to be back Sunday evening and I wanted to save some of my leave to spend time with the wife and kids we decided that if we came across a shooter I would take him down and we'd head home. Well, wouldn't you know it, we hadn't walked more than 200 yards from camp when the buck I took stood up and presented a perfect broadside shot at about 75 yards. I looked at my brother, he gave me that "take him" look, and one well placed shot later and he was down.
The drag was easy (MUCH easier than if we had taken something in the high country), we loaded up the truck, and headed back to town.

Agian, the buck isn't the biggest...and wasn't the biggest we saw this weekend. However, I am tickled pink about him, I'll have a freezer full of meat shortly, and I can relax and enjoy some free time.

ENJOY!
Attachments
shed.JPG
salmon.JPG
country22.JPG
camp33.JPG
buck2.JPG
buck.JPG

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: My Idaho hunt is complete!

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Oh, and don't pay attention to the dang date on the pics! My camera ALWAYS puts 01JAN05 on the pics and I have no idea how to fix it...LOL

mattman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mattman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Nice buck. What unit did you hunt? I reside in the Twin Falls area.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:51 pm

Hawk,
Looks like it all came together for ya. Congrats to you and your Bro on another successful hunt. Thanks for sharing and the photos.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:49 pm

VERY COOL HAWK!! congrats on a good looking buck. sounds like you seen a lot of game and had a great time. very cool looking country - way to get back into the game after your year being gone :thumb

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:49 pm

Nice buck! 10sign:

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Nice deer! I can't wait to get out there and hunt! :thumb
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:12 am

Congrats on a great looking buck!!!!

J0n
Spike
Spike

Post by J0n » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:19 am

Man Hawk that's a great buck! Glad you got one!

MULIES4EVER
3 point
3 point

Post by MULIES4EVER » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:58 am

Congrats man. That is pretty cool.