12A West Kaibab

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
tommycaller
Spike
Spike

12A West Kaibab

Post by tommycaller » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:31 pm

I just got back from the West Kaibab last night and had a great time. I saw 36 bucks total with the Adams crew and felt that the hunt was worth every penny. I saw two shooters. The first was on monday and was the 24th buck I saw. I took a high shoulder shot and missed at 205 yards and found out that my gun was off seven inches high at 100 yards. (I flew in and I know I should have checked my gun after the flight, but I didn't) I resighted the gun and went back out. On Wednesday morning we woke up to light snow and 13 degrees. We hiked in two miles to a secluded basin and found this buck and a small fork horn. I shot him at 434 yards and made a one shot kill. He was the 35th buck we saw. Those guys know where the deer are. We averaged about four miles of walking each day and on some days saw well over a hundred deer. I have not scored the buck but think he is in the high 170's low 180's.
Kaibab Mule Deer copy.jpg
I also found it surprising how many hunters shot the smaller fork horns and spike bucks. On Sunday, we had a guy shoot a forky that was only 50 yards from us. We were working down a ridge and when the shot went off. It scared the bejeebers out of me. From that moment on, I wore an orange hat.

For any of you that were wondering about hiring Duwane Adams, I highly recommend his camp. We ate well with a camp cook serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Plenty of drinks and most importantly, highly knowledgable guides that know the Kaibab well. When I left on Thursday morning, 10 out of 12 guys in our camp had filled their tags with bucks over 150". One of the guys shot a 32 inch wide four point on Wednesday night. They were unable to get him out and were going back in the next morning. I left for the airport, so I did not get to see the deer. Duwane was with him and said it was a monster that he thought would go close to 200 inches. This was my first guided hunt and for the Kaibab, I think the permit is a tag that you will need help with.

We also had a lady come into camp on opening day that shot a real monster 4 point. The guys rough scored it at 204".
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Re: 12A West Kaibab

Post by kinzysdad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Congradulations on a great wall hanger 10sign:
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Been looking forward to your success report. :thumb

Sounds like an awesome time and glad you enjoyed the experience. I felt you made a wise choice with the guide also and sounds like a great trip all around. Great buck, thanks for the story and photo. 10sign:

oakbrush
2 point
2 point

Post by oakbrush » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Great buck TC. I live just across the border from there. Maybe someday [-o<

Congrats

oakbrush

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:24 pm

Glad that hunt worked out for you and you were happy with the results. Duwane is a great guy........and even better glasser. Congrats on a fine buck.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:26 pm

CONGRATS Tommy!!! I was just wondering how your Kaibab hunt had gone/is going!

Awesome lookin' buck, my friend!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:28 pm

very cool, i've been waiting for the outcome! congrats :thumb

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks for the comments! The Lord has blessed me again! I also appreciate the help ya'll gave before the hunt. I can't wait until the next one. Oklahoma Whitetail season comes in pretty soon. I still haven't decided on where I am going, but I am sure it will be fun!
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:37 am

Congrats TC!!! Great looking buck and it sounds like you had a great hunt :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:24 am

tommycaller, Good looking buck. I'm glad it all came together for you. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. God blessed you alright!
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6