Off with his head!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
lunkerjunker
Spike
Spike

Off with his head!

Post by lunkerjunker » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:04 am

I saw an interesting and bit disturbing thing the other day. I was driving with a friend to a painting project that we were starting in the hills east of Park City UT when I noticed a dead buck on the side of the road. It was a fresh road kill since it wasn't there the evening before.

It was a nice buck, only four total points but a big bodied deer. And actually one of the points looked like it had broken off on impact. As we passed it again in the afternoon on the way home I said to my friend "I bet his head will be gone tomorrow." He just laughed.

Well, the next morning as we drove passed the deer sure enough his head was gone. I've seen this before with other animals, the one before this was a spike elk that was killed on the road. His head lasted only a day as well.

Why would someone want the heads of these animals and take the time at night to pull off the highway to cut them off? They were'nt exactly trophy's. Would DWR or some other state agency take only the heads and not the whole carcass? Am I missing something?

Anyway, this is a great site and I just wanted to get some imput. Thanks!

Only two weeks to go....

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:38 am

I've seen the same thing around here on road kills some people just like to collect horns i guess. I know i've picked up horns from wolf kills or the animal has just died in the bush.

texscala
Fawn
Fawn

Post by texscala » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:35 am

I am pretty sure it is against the law to take them in utah. You can take sheds but never antlers from a skull or head. Pretty sure that is what the law says. I don't doubt people do it but I would not.
If you're not bleeding you are not having fun.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:26 pm

Yes it is against the law in Utah. But your right, people cut the heads off all the time for the "rack". Would the division of wildlife approve of giving the head/rack to someone if they called 1st for permission?

Anyone ever called first to ask, or would they just take them. Probably the latter, and what about the meat.

In Alaska they have a list of people to call for road-kill, and you go get the animal and use the meat. How come we don't use that system?

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:07 pm

My friends boy found a moose that had been hit on the road. They called the division about it cause the boy wanted the antlers. The division said that it you want the antlers then you will have to go bid on them at the hide and antler auction that the division has. They don't want you cutting in on their profit any. It doesn't seem worth the trouble you would get in if you ever got caught trying to cut off the head of a spike elk. ???
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

TMaC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TMaC » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:31 pm

In Alberta you can keep the head off of roadkill or found wildlife but you must take it in and get a permit first {or call}. I think it is $5 or so. Translated into real money it would cost the same for you guys as a cup of coffee :)

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:39 am

I just found a Wolf kill skull of a Whitetail buck i suspect.