Tag Soup

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
mattman
Fawn
Fawn

Tag Soup

Post by mattman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Thought i'd share this with those that, much like myself, still have thier tags in thier wallet and the season is over.

Tag Soup
1 tag (deer/elk, species doesn't really matter here)
1 jug of your own sweat
1 small bottle of your own blood

In a large pot combine your unfilled tag, the sweat you've poured out on those long hikes, and the blood lost on those unsuccessful stalks. Bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to dissimate the "failure" flavore to taste. Serve with memories of failed stalks and missed shots.

For the 3rd season in a row my season is over and i have nothing to show for the money and time spent. The biggest dissappointment to me was only seeing a few deer and none were shooters. This winter i'm buying a bow and taking up archery. I don't see it giving me any more success but it does lengthen my hunting season here in Idaho and to me thats what its all about. The worst day in the field is better than the best day at work. I just gotta find some hunting buddies that feel the same way and share the same passion. ](*,) (long story)

To those that still have season left and a tag in thier pocket, good luck. We all look forward to more stories and pics of great bucks. Cheers ya'll!
Keep hiking until you dont see sign of human life, then hike some more. That my friend, is where the monster lives.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Re: Tag Soup

Post by Loafer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Dang, have a rough season? Glad to hear your not bitter. lol Its the hard times that make the good times that much better. Next year when you tag that monster you'll look back and laugh about this season and realize it was all worth it.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

mattman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mattman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Wasn't really all that rough. Just disappointing and discouraging to go 3 years without tagging a buck. 2 of them were spent chasing a monster. Countless hours scouting him to have him disappear the day before the season opened. This year i didn't even see him in scouting trips. I never did get close enough to get a picture of him during those scouting trips either. Makes a guy wonder what happened to him. Even though i didn't get anything I wouldnt trade those tireless days afield or the sore muscles for anything. Not even a bigger paycheck. To me there's absolutely nothing more beautiful than spending the day in the Idaho wilderness. The tag soup recipe gave me a chuckle so i thought i'd share it.
Keep hiking until you dont see sign of human life, then hike some more. That my friend, is where the monster lives.

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Being that I'm what they call a good ole southern boy, we typically deep fry ours in lard. lol
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:32 pm

I know the feeling. I haven't filled a tag since 06 and that includes a LE deer and a LE elk tag.

BlackCoyote
Spike
Spike

Post by BlackCoyote » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:42 am

well I know the feeling but you can be thankful you had the chance to hunt and live in a State where you can hunt Mulies and Elk! Some of us save for years to head west and have a short precious amount of time out there. If I could find a job out west and convince my wife to move I'd be gone!

If ya need a spare archery buddy let me know... :-k

Archeryguru
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Archeryguru » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Sorry dude, sounds like you hunted hard though thats counts for something. I came home with tag soup on one of my limited entry elk hunts this year. Its a sickening feeling.

http://www.archeryguru.blogspot.com

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:40 pm

JBird wrote:I know the feeling. I haven't filled a tag since 06 and that includes a LE deer and a LE elk tag.
Sorry to all tag soup eaters. The LE tags must taste exceptionally bitter. You make up for kills with some of your great photos.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

zachvu
Spike
Spike

Post by zachvu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:42 am

I know this is a WAY old post, but I have a question... when doubling the recipe, do I need a medium or large jar of my blood??