Advice to a first time Mule Deer hunter? Montana Rifle

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
CGeminski
Fawn
Fawn

Advice to a first time Mule Deer hunter? Montana Rifle

Post by CGeminski » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:47 pm

I was not succesful in the Montana Non-Resident deer combo drawing, fortunately a friend told me about the alternates list and I was the first person to register online for a "returned" tag! So it looks like I will be going Mule Deer hunting this fall... a life-long dream! I have hunted whitetails for over 20 years with bow, muz and rifle... this muley hunt will be a private land unguided rifle hunt during late Oct/early Nov to also take advantage of the open season on pronghorn... I will be hunting in southeast Montana, just east of Roundup, Montana.
Do any of you have any advice for a first time mule deer hunter accustomed to still hunting or treestand hunting whitetails in the east? I will be bringing my spotting scope, binocs, rangefinder and a Winchester pre-64 .264 with me. I am trying to educate myself on muley (and pronghorn) behavior, hunting methods, field judging and any other helful information you may have. I am also curious as to what size buck a reasonable expectation should be for this area... I will be hunting for 6 days and hope to take a muley and a pronghorn and possibly get in some small game hunting if succesful with both big game tags... Your advice is appreciated!!
Chris Geminski
Long Island, NY

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:07 pm

CGeminski, Yes you are in good shape to draw a tag. East of Round is a good place to find deer and antelope, and if your in the Musselshell river area very good whitetails. Glassing and spotting then stalking works well for both muleys and antelope, stay low and out of sight. Remember their eyes are as good as 8 power binoculars, if they spot you their gone, especially mature animals.

I think hunting on ranchland you should go after a 24" or better 4 pt. Depends of course on how hard the ranch gets hunted, and if the bucks get a chance to get 3 or more yrs old. Good Luck.

In good antelope country like that go for at least a 14"

CGeminski
Fawn
Fawn

Post by CGeminski » Mon May 01, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks Wayne... yes, I will be hunting in the Musselshell River area.. I come from a good whitetail area here in the east, so I probably wouldnt concentrate on hunting whitetails... I would rather get a nice 4x4 or better muley since I have never shot one, let alone seen one! This will be my first western hunt... I will be hunting in late Oct/early Nov... what is the general weather that time of year? I assume most of the muleys will be in sagebrush?
Chris Geminski
Long Island, NY

Bowedark
Spike
Spike

Post by Bowedark » Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm

PUT your bullets in your pockets for the first day.

Give yourself time to look over the herds. As being from the East you'll see more deer, than you'll are used to. That country holds some good deer public or private land.

Want's you find the doe's. You use them as your bait pile. New bucks will frequent the groups of does.

Again put your bullets in your pocket for the first day.

good luck and let's say some photos when you get back

CGeminski
Fawn
Fawn

Post by CGeminski » Mon May 01, 2006 1:05 pm

Bullets in your pocket? I always thought they work better in your gun... I am definately not going to shoot the first muley I see, unless of course he is a monster.... but I see your point. Get an idea of whats our there first before you take a deer... good advice!
Chris Geminski
Long Island, NY

Rooselk
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Rooselk » Mon May 01, 2006 5:49 pm

CGeminski: It's been a few years, but I've had the opportunity to hunt muleys around Roundup and Jordon on several occassions (my parents live in Billings). You probably already know that you will be hunting open country. The hunting method I've used is spot and stalk, and to a lesser degree, still-hunting. My best advice is to get up high as you can with a good set of binoculars and glass, glass, and glass. And when you're done with that glass some more. If you haven't done so already, I'd also suggest getting a copy of Dwight Schuh's book, Hunting Open Country Mule Deer. It's an excellent book with lots of sound advice. And while the book is primarily written for bowhunters, it is certainly suited for rifle hunters as well.

As to the weather, the best advice I can give is to be prepared for everything. I've hunted that area in October when it was bitter cold. On the other hand, I've also hunted that same area in November wearing a tee-shirt. The thing to remember is that the weather can change significantly even in the same day - so be prepared.

Finally, there are plenty of antelope in the area. If I were you I'd concentrate on getting your deer and in all probability the antelope opportunity will take care of itself (at least that's been my experience).

CGeminski
Fawn
Fawn

Post by CGeminski » Mon May 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Thanks Rooselk... I appreciate your advice!
Chris Geminski
Long Island, NY

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon May 01, 2006 9:46 pm

That's some real good advice from Rooselk. Good luck and let us know how it went.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue May 02, 2006 8:27 am

Chris, Rooselk is right about the weather be prepared for most anything.
On the other hand, thats a dry climate out there. At least 75% of the time the days are sunny with 45 to 60 highs, the nights are frosty in the low 20's.

I'm from Whitetail country, and I don't go after Whitetails either. I hope the ranch your on goes up into the breaks and rough country, you won't find many Muleys in the valley. Go into the roughest country the ranch has to offer, get off the trail a mile or so, again stay low. Glass from places where the deer won't spot you, like by a rock or tree. Unless your spotting a mile or more away.

You might find some Muleys in the sage, but most likely they will be bedded in rougher country.

The Antelope won't be in the rough. They will be where they can see danger from every direction. For the hunter there is often a gully, rocks or something to make a stalk.

Wayne

CGeminski
Fawn
Fawn

Post by CGeminski » Tue May 02, 2006 9:21 am

What is a muleys typical daily routine this time of year? (late oct/early nov) Are they moving most early and late in the day and bedded during the mid-day? Should I expect them to be bedded in heavy cover, or somewhere on a south facing slope to stay warm in the sun?
Chris Geminski
Long Island, NY