Anyone Else Get Lucky?

Talk related to anything & everything.
GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun May 13, 2007 1:00 am

I hunted up there when southern went to a 5 day hunt. For some reason at the time the area around Hamblin Valley and Indian Peaks was 9 days. We would finish out the next four days out there.

The Bucks were high and fed early in the morning. What also makes it tough out there I hear, is because of a lot of poachers. I don't know how true it is, but I could see it.

Hunted the paths to the watering holes. You just can't get aggresive out there in most places, because it is so dang thick. You really can't glass much either. We ended up taking 3 alright 4 pointers out there, but like everyone else says, "There are some Huge one out there". Looked in the record book and seen a couple taken in the area, so I know the genetics exist.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun May 13, 2007 1:34 pm

i dont know about the poaching i dont think its that bad up there i think it has to do with the elk populatio pushing the deer out personally if you look at some of the top elk units the deer are quite scarce in a lot of them like indian peaks monroe etc i think they may have something to do with it. i could be wrong but that is my take on the situation just looking at deer numbers in areas withlittle or no elk comparded to the deer numbers with lots of elk. like the panguitch lake unit may be a exception they have good deer hunting and good elk hunting but it seems like the exptional elk units just dont have the exeptional deer. what do you guy think about that? sound dumb or could i be on to something?

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun May 13, 2007 6:50 pm

I think your absolutely right. I think Panguitch does so well because of the great habitat to support both. I still feel that there is good deer out at Indian Peaks there is so much cover they are able to get some age on them. We also went out there to get Christmas Trees one year and have seen some good ones. A local showed me some sheds off some real nice deer from there too.
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun May 13, 2007 9:31 pm

well about 5 years ago i found a bout a 3 or 4 year old shed that would probably be in the 150-160 range which is pretty good and i have found a few chalky busted ones that look like they could have been some good ones but i surely havent seen many bucks up thgere but i do know there are some up there and like you said some real nices ones could be well hidden in htat thick stuff i totally agree and i have seen some gnarly tracks to prove there are mature bucks around that 4 point in this pic is the one i found up there
i measure it at about 67 inches or right in there give or take its been a while since i measured it and giving it a 20 inch inside spread it should be in the 150's that was found a couple miles from bible springs
my trail cam is up near the jackson wash right now maybe ill get something but i think the majority of deer are up towards the peaks themselves

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131 ... ure368.jpg

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Mon May 14, 2007 7:33 am

I took a 2 hour Hike one time scouting at Indian Peaks and found 2 complete 6x6 Sheds and one Bull Dead 6x that apparently got in a fight and broke off the other horn and cracked his skull. Never seen anything like it.
SPENCER W. KIMBALL