How does everyone feel about the new law for age hunting?

Talk related to anything & everything.
wildantlerman
3 point
3 point

How does everyone feel about the new law for age hunting?

Post by wildantlerman » Tue May 15, 2007 8:39 am

Utah passed its law for 11/12 year olds to hunt this year for the antlerless draw as long as they turn 12 before their hunt begins. Just wondering about everyones take on this? :-k

MuliesnMerriams
2 point
2 point

Post by MuliesnMerriams » Tue May 15, 2007 8:52 am

do they have to take a hunter safety course?
AZ something similiar, but its 10 years old. They have to successfully complete a hunter safety course and be 10 years of age before the course is over. Then they may put in for the draws.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue May 15, 2007 9:25 am

Not a big fan of it myself, but as long as they have good teaching/parents then I suppose it's not such a bad thing.

Spike
Spike

Post by 270 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:43 am

MuleyMadness wrote:Not a big fan of it myself, but as long as they have good teaching/parents then I suppose it's not such a bad thing.
I agree! I wish the license required an Adult with them at all times! I would go ahead and say have the adult pack the gun also!

Now I know there are some kids that are ready but i would dare say most kids parents are ready not their kids! IMHO

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue May 15, 2007 10:11 am

I'm all for it...providing they are hunting with an ADULT licensed hunter. My folks used to take me and my brothers out elk and deer hunting when we were just able to walk. Couldn't wait to get old enough to hunt back then.

Needless to say, my folks didn't fair to well when they took us hunting with them, but that's not the reason you take a child hunting. You take a child hunting with you, not to get an animal, but to light a fire inside them so that one day they can carry the torch. It worked with me and one of my brothers. We now take our dad hunting with us.

My brother takes his soon-to-be six year old daughter with him and will be taking his 3 year old son soon enough. To me, in our family, it has come full circle.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

lifetime hunter
3 point
3 point

Post by lifetime hunter » Tue May 15, 2007 5:27 pm

Well said ABert & 270! I agree an Adult needs to be with them!
I remember growing up walking behind my dad carrying a BBgun :) then I got older and carried a shot gun to shot pine-hens then when I finally turned 16 they changed the age to 14!! But I will admit I wasn't ready to pack a high powered rifle at the age of 12! So I just hope Parents take control of this new law and teach there kids right! I don't know if my 9yr old son will be ready by the time he will be 12 (he doesn't have a huge desire?! hoping that will change!) but my 7yr old will be! He loves it! he can handle a 410 out shooting rabbits! We have spent a lot of time with them, teaching & respecting firearms!